Black hardware with silver frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm planning my Warmoth bass and i'm thinking of going with Black hardware but there's one big issue that strikes me, frets are made of silver/nickel, does it look good having silver frets with black hardware, should i go fretless just for the looks? I have no problem with playing fretless but i don't know if it would suit the music i play.

What do you think i should do?

PS. My band and i play some sort of 70's/Progressive rock with influences like Queen and Pink Floyd. I'm getting a P-bass if you wonder ;)
  2. all basses have some kind of odd color frets, my spector has black hardware and regular frets
    it looks good.
  3. I don't think I can recall seeing a bass that didn't have the shiny nickel-type frets. It's natural to see the frets, and I've never considered them as something that stands out.

Go with a fretless just for looks? No way.. fretless is a different way of playing bass, for both tone and feel. You may find yourself wanting to play fretless in the future, but don't go that route just for looks.

4. Makes as much sense as going naked for the free beer.
  5. FREE Beer?!! Brilliant!! Where??!!

6. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Why don't you change the music you play to go with your fret / hardware colors!!!
  7. [​IMG]

Both my basses have blackhardware with nickle/silver frets...

I think it looks fine :)

Warwicks use brass frets with blackhardware this again looks fine.. silver and black being farily undefined colours go with anthing :)

and the shinyness will dull down pretty quickly...even after polishing as they wear this isnt anythign to worry about...its just the nickle/silver oxidising with the air (can't spell this morning at all)..
  8. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    You take that back! Tell that to John Deacon! ;) :p :spit: