Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black holes sing bass, but humans can't hear them!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Part II in my : "science of bass - in the news" series!! ;)

This really interested me as it relates to my sig and Stockhausen - he's not mad!!

http://www.msnbc.com/local/rtroa/Blackhoeig.asp

WASHINGTON, Sep. 09 - Big black holes sing bass. One particularly monstrous black hole has probably been humming B flat for billions of years, but at a pitch no human could hear, let alone sing, astronomers said on Tuesday.

"The intensity of the sound is comparable to human speech," said Andrew Fabian of the Institute of Astronomy at Cambridge, England. But the pitch of the sound is about 57 octaves below middle C, roughly the middle of a standard piano keyboard.

This is far, far deeper than humans can hear, the researchers said, and they believe it is the deepest note ever detected in the universe.

The sound is emanating from the Perseus Cluster, a giant clump of galaxies some 250 million light-years from Earth. A light-year is about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km), the distance light travels in a year.

(Follow the link above to read on)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Somebody pull the plug...

Please.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Come on - we need to know this stuff - bass is important!!

It's cosmic, man! ;)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Well - how are you supposed to know that that's about from the title? :rolleyes:

I just ignored that thread and dismissed it as yet more (sic) of the TB cult of John Turner worship!! ;)

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Nope, not a a member of the TB cult of JT, Bruce. I just like to razz him about his 8 string basses. So, neener neener neener. :p Maybe it's time for a Bruce thread called, "Why can't people just put what they are talking about in thread titles?!?!?!?!"

I nominate Bruce for Talkbass Hall Monitor!

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Oh well - you should all learn to write better thread titles!! ;)

8. Of course I have to point out the obvious flaw in the story. The astronomers are talking about pressure waves...and since there is no air in space there is no way that these pressure waves could ever be sound waves. Black holes simply do not hum in space even if we could hear that low.

If a tree falls in the forest.....

Machaut - amatuer astronomer and variable star observer

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    SECONDED!!!!

;)

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I agree.

Some people here suck at this.

Bruce for hall monitor? He's got my support.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    True, but these are pressure waves in the extruded matter. When a sound wave hits a solid object, it too can be called a "pressure wave" as it travels through the solid, although I doubt this is the best way to define it.

What is meant here is that if such low frequency waves existed on Earth, they would be perceived as infrasound waves.

Such low frequencies would probably be lethal anyway, so I guess we're in luck!

Also, I third Bruce for Hall Monitor! I can just picture him wearing the yellow sash - quite intimidating really! ;)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A drummer friend of mine used to say, "If sound did exist in Space, we would all be deaf".

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Any fans of Minority Report?
    I like how the futuristic Police-types had "sound" powered weapons...I imagine the sick sticks used some kinda low freq to subdue the perps.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Sound as a space weapon - anybody remember Donovans' : "Intergalactic Laxative" ? ;)

(It'll get you from here to Mars!)

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    A Killer bassline...:)

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I didn't see it... I should...

I was thinking of Gavreau's experiments. He and his team were working in some building and were mysteriously getting very sick when all the windows were shut, IIRC.

Eventually it was discovered that the very long air shaft combined with the closed windows was just the right combination to amplify some very low frequencies (about 15 Hz, if memory serves). That was what was making them sick. There were some pretty serious symptoms, too.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not sure about this...but I think-

In That Thing You Do!, the scene where the 3 remaining Wonder boyz get the new bass player-
    When asked by Jimmy(the Wonders' leader) if he can handle their tune & the new bassist responds with "I think I can, junior".

If you have the DVD, enable the Close Captioning-
    While the guy is going off on his P-bass...it sez underneath-
    "Playing killer bass licks".

I dunno, that, IMO, is funny!

18. Yo, B-Hole pump up that funky ultrabass!!!!! :D :D :D :D

19. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Perseus...sounds like a cool name for a killer new bass. Maybe a Modulus or Zon???

I guess it would have to be at least a 5-string though.