Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Ice Onboard fuzz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RoyQBiv, Mar 11, 2003.

1. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    So, Stewart Mac sells a very small circuit that you wire onto your tone pot in order to give you on-board, pot-variable overdrive.

Obligitory link: http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/haze...,_pickups&ss1=Components:_Black_Ice_overdrive

My question is, has anyone tried one of these little guys in a bass? It could be handy if you set up an on/bypass switch in front of the pot so you'd stay clean when you wanted to. If no one has tried it, then I might drop $30 on one once I get my SX Jazz. If it doesn't work in the bass, I can always wire it into my guitar.

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I saw those and was wondering the same thing...C'mon people give up the word!

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Worthless. Do not buy the Black Ice.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    FBBC-How did you install it? What bass did you use? What makes it worthless? Hit me...

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I put it in the middle of a passive Bartolini system, number 040, just for kicks. It did absolutely nothing at all for bass. I haven't tried it on a guitar.

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Do you mean that it didn't provide distortion, or it made no audible difference whatsoever? If it's the latter, just from my general troubleshooting experience, I'd be inclined to suspect that a). you got a defective unit, or b). it was installed incorrectly. If you still have the unit maybe I'll buy it off you for a few bucks to give it a try.

7. Every guitarist I've seen hates this thing. The distortion is just really bad. Buzzy, grainy, blech. Not worth it.