1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black ironwood on basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Dec 10, 2006.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I just read that black ironwood was the most dense wood, So i was wondering if anyone has ever used it on a bass? and does anyone know where to buy it?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never heard of it, but I'd give odds of 2/1 for Warwick using it to build their next "big" bass with!

3. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I have some ironwood growing around my cottage. The wood itself is very heavy and strong. We were cutting it up with a chainsaw, and it was making a lot of sparks, it would be really hard to make a bass out of it.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I want it for a fingerboard.

5. But does it have a nice dense and beautiful grain like Wenge does?

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I dont know, havent seen it yet... but i can allways stain it in black if i dont like the grain or so...

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Wow thx, now i know i will stain it black.

8. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Chapman used to use them on all of the really old Chapman Sticks in the 80's.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And what is leading you to think that very dense woods are ideal for basses?

10. 12055

Nov 10, 2006
    When I get out of college and make a few G's, I'm going to have a luthier make me a bass out of desert ironwood. Here's a burl piece:

[​IMG]

Ironwood is an amazing looking substance. I don't know how good it is for basses though. Guess we'll see.

-Ross

11. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Just use it as a top maybe?

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Nothing, i just think that for fingerboards or necks dense woods are good to achive cristal highs and growly low-mid range thats why im asking cos i might need to do some repair work on a bass and i might get a new figerboard for it.