1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black Korina for a jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billiam5billion, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Anybody have any experience with this combination or with this particular wood in general?

2. I built a Warmoth jazz 5er with a Black Korina body. I think it sounds great, although it's more on the warm side. I knew it would have a warmer natural sound, so I installed SD quarter lbs (hotter pups). My Black Korina body is also heavy. I think that my next build will be Alder.

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    I did one with a Black Limba body and maple neck w/ Wenge board, Fralin singles, BAII. It was very Big Sounding and with a tobacco sunburst finish it looked beautiful

4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I had a warmoth blk korina jazz.I had emg's in it and it sounded great.Korina w/ korina top and padouk thin laminated stripes and rear controls.I got it dirt cheap becase it had a hole in the top from i'd assume trying to drill the controls without a drill press or clamping the body down.Had tearout was almost the size of j control plate.Luckily a j control plate covered the tearout.

5. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I made this back korina top on black korina body jazz. Neck is maple with an ebony fingerboard.
    In the picture I hadn't fitted the John East U-Retro preamp yet. PU are Fender Custom Shop 60's.
    It sounds wonderful, a classic jazz on steroids :)

6. Mine

Attached Files:

7. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Black Limba/Korina has a similar tone to mahohany. Looks great with a flamed Koa top. Think Fender Victor Bailey sig bass.

8. Do any of you find that you miss out on the signature high nasally tone of the bridge pup solo?

9. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Not really... still sounds like a jazz bass. I guess the electronics have a more important role than the wood though.