Black light + tube amp = problem?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Viviuos, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I an curently moding my amp and i want to put some black light paint around the speaker. However, i was told that a tube style black light will cause tube amps to have fuz and static. I my self do not have a tube amp but i an concerned about other people. Is this true or just a myth?
  2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Any flourescent light fixture can cause hum/static with gear if it's on the same circuit. I believe SOME of the high end power conditioners with filters can prevent this though. Just put it between your amp and the outlet. I'd search for one of the many power conditioner threads for research if you go that route.
  3. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    And the black light(s) will be battery powered.
  4. The guitarist in a band I was in had a black light tube on the inside of his amp (it had a clear plexiglass face). It was either built in to the amp or it was an add on thing. That head was an ultra high gain head and it didn't cause problems... I'm pretty sure this was it:

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If it does cause noise, you can use a cold cathode UV blacklight. I bought mine for my Trace Elliot head from an Ebay store for $3.33.