1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black limba jazz body/Status neck - pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KF2B, Mar 1, 2014.

1. KF2B

KF2B

Jan 28, 2013
    Finland
    Greetings,

yeah, I´ve used the search, read the threads and seen more youtube than needed. That being said I´m still asking for your help as I am not that well versed on things Bass :meh:

So... What we´re dealing with here is the following:

- Black limba jazz body with (the "norm") 60´s pickup placement
    - Status graphite replacement jazz neck
    - Babicz bridge
    - passive...?
    - 4 strings ;)

The rest... That´s what I am asking you guys! - so I am hesitant on what pickups to go for.

Sure they can be changed later on but I´d prefer hitting the bulls-eye or at least close from the get go. I like the idea of passive more than active but can be persuaded towards active (yes, I´ve thought about the J-Retro Audere) and as long as there are no unnecessary fiddlings in the way and it sounds good in passive mode as well - I like to keep the control panel as clean and simple as possible. So preferably passive, but...

That leaves us with the question of pickups?

My old jazz bass which has a maple neck and alder body has The DiMarzio J´s (DP123) which I like on said alder body with maple neck. Based on what I´ve heard on the tube, I also very much like the Lindy Fralins as well as Dome Sanctus and Nordstrands.... Lindy appearing as no #1.

I´ve never had a carbon neck before so I guess it´ll be somewhat clean and transparent, the black limba body bringing necessary warmth so it does no appear too sterile.

So what do we want from the sound? - We need this thing to be a good all-rounder with emphasis on rock, funk & disco. - We need this thing to growl and burp (saddly the pickup placement is not "70´s" so the pickups need to back that up) yet be smooth, warm and pristine when needed. I am willing to pay for as long as I am paying for the sound I want.

Sooooooooo.... Whaddya recommend???

:help:

All help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

J.

2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    Nordstrand 70s wind...
    I have owned several graphite Js and still own a status J.

You will already have lower mids with that bod wood so go with that wind