1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black limba (korina) vs African mahogany

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Johnboch, May 7, 2010.

1. African mahogany

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Black limba

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    I'm looking to get a custom stambaugh bass built. I want to get a tone close to victor wooten's, so I want something growly and bright. I want a set maple neck, purpleheart and ebony top, and pao ferro fingerboard. However, I can't decide what I want for the body. Right now, I'm deciding between mahogany and black limba (korina).

2. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    What about a maple body? Thats jolly good on bass.

3. I voted limba, but if you could get your hands on some Swietenia mahagoni or Swietenia macrophylla I'd swap my vote.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Use a Mike Pope preamp and EMG PJ with nickle roundwouds.

5. +1

There's always the debate about how much wood selection affects the tone of an electric bass/guitar... I'm on the side of it's a slab of wood that holds your electronics that output to an amplifier.

6. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    And to top this off try getting a hold of his fingers and 40+ years of playing experiance.

7. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    Will do thanks

8. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    Haha obviously man...but I've been working on that.

9. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    Anyways, I've got my own style. I just like his tone a lot. I've got a Warwick double buck and a fretless jazz, but I miss having an active bass and i'll have enough money for a custom soon.

10. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    I agree with you to a certain extent, especially in basses with active electronics, but do you know any preamp that comes close to mike pope's? I heard they're tough to come by, and they're expensive as can be.

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    $1500 for an amazing preamp isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Lots of guys have double or triple that in their basses, and if you add up every piece of music related equipment you've ever had, you'd probably find it goes well beyond that. Either that, or my name is beej and I'm a gear-aholic...

12. Sorry, I don't. I haven't been around here in a while, some of the older guys who remember me know that I mostly build/play guitars. One of my next projects will be my own bass design I've had kicking around for a while. But I don't really know jack about bass pups or preamps.

I was just sharing my opinion about how much wood affects tone. When I went to Roberto-Venn, the first project we did was building a basic tool tray to see if you could work the machines. To make a point, the electric guitar instructor routed a couple of holes in it, bolted a neck on it and put a pickup in it. Sounded like an electric guitar!

On acoustics, wood absolutely affects the tone. Even a hollowbody/archtop electric. But a straight up electric? By the time it goes through a preamp, a cable, an amp, and whatever effects you're using... yeah. That just sounds like electronics to me.

13. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Hmmmm...solidbody tone querry again? Think lack of vibration matched with potted and packed pickup coils, add in the enhanced audio control amd output of a pre-amp and that equates to an MDF body sounding good. See Mikeys post.;-)

14. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    There is a multi-quote.