1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Limba (korina) vs African Mahogany

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnboch, May 7, 2010.

1. Black Limba

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. African Mahogany

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    I'm having Chris Stambaugh build a bass for me soon. I want to get close to Victor Wooten's tone. I'm going to have him build it with a maple neck, pao ferro fingerboard, ebony/purpleheart butcher block-style top, and EMG P/J pickups. The only thing I can't figure out is which body wood to use. I can't decide between limba and mahogany. Could anyone with experience with either of these woods give me some advice?

2. Funny you should ask.
    I have two Warmoth body/neck assemblies that are very similar. They have identical body shapes, Wenge necks, Villex P/J pups and passive electronics. LaBella 760FS flats on both.

The one with the Black Korina body is fretless; the one African Mahogany one is fretted.
    I was and still am crazy about the tone of the fretted one. Super warm and musical tone. Great jazz machine.

The fretless Korina body one is taking longer for me to love. It's tone tends to be really mid-heavy and more modern or something. I prefer the warmth and bottom of the mahog. Both have crazy sustain.

Hope this helps.

3. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    It definitely helps. I'm majoring in jazz performance next year so the jazzier the better.

Thanks

4. Hi again.

I find it trickier (not impossible, but trickier) to warm-up the FL than to bring up the mahogany. And that's with careful attention and tiny, incremental adjustments to eq along with a Sansamp VT Bass. I almost regret not going with African Mahogany for the FL. I almost did, but I heard from so many people that fretted is always brighter because the frets themselves enhance brightness. So I guessed that the brighter Limba body would balance the fretless warmth. Mahogany would have been more pleasing to me.