Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Limba

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 59jazz, May 11, 2003.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm considering trying black limba for a bass body, I will be routing small chambers in the body for a semi acoustic, or psuedo acoustic effect. I have heard that black limba is a medium to heavy weight wood, I have also heard that it is lighter than most woods used for body blanks. Who's right?
    Also, is it an oily wood............some wood shops with drum sanders won't surface sand oily woods, not even zebra wood. Any thoughts?

Thanks, H2

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's a medium weight wood. There are some lighter body woods and some heavier body woods being used. It makes a fine body. It is not terribly oily, and I would think most shops would sand it unless they'd never heard of it.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Black Limba idefinitely a killer body wood. The blanks I got From Larry @ Galleryhardwoods were really light. regular Limba is usually lighter.

I don't feel it to be very oily so you might have no problem in getting it sanded/milled.

Peace, JP

4. 59jazz

Hey thanks guys! I think I'll go for it. I have been in contact with Larry at Gallery Hardwoods. I'm using the black limba as the body with a thin veneer of wenge between the limba and spalted myrtle top.
    BTW, for any of you who are looking for exotic hardwoods, Larry has a great web site with pics of the actual pieces that are for sale. He is very quick to respond to all questions!

peace, H2

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Larry is great. I think you'll be very happy with those woods.

I might add that I hate resawing wenge. If you're doing the resaw, you might consider walnut instead. Wenge is hard and splintery and stinky. It makes your bandsaw blade want to wander.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hmmm..I keep reading about Larry and Gallery Hardwoods, but for the life of me I can't find pics of actual blanks that he has for sale. Am I blind or...?

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
  8. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I think, for the most part, there aren't many body blanks or neck blanks on the Gallery page. Mostly tops and fretboards, because, in general, fretboards and laminate tops are prettier to look at than body and neck blanks. There are lists of the instrument woods under Tonewoods. I can also attest to Gallery's quality. Beautiful wood, and great service. Larry really knows what he's doing, and is very responsive to questions, and just all-around helpful.

9. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    Here is a pic of my Korina (black limba) bodied Jazz from Warmoth, I finished it with Tru-Oil gun stock finish, no filler I left the grain open. It started out life as a Modulus VJ. It sounds fairly bright but when I play it with my band it sounds awesome, lots of midrange growl, even with flat wounds. It has Bill Lawrence pickups.

Lex

10. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I compare it to mahogany in weight and tonal properties. Here is some black limba with bubinga, wenge and myrtle. All from Larry at Gallery hardwoods.http://www.boydbasses.com

11. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Not much to say - korina's warm, deep, and looks great!

Here's my black korina Gecko:

[​IMG]

12. 59jazz

Mr. gecko......my what a nice piece of limba! Guys, thanks for all your pics of your limba/instruments! they're all great looking! I have just made my order with Larry Davis at Gallery Hardwoods. Black limba body (which will be chambered) topped off with 1/16" wenge line and 1/4" of myrtle burl.............I can hardly wait!