1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black Marcus Miller five

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd love it with a turtleshell 'guard. Black with turtleshell = great.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    black with maple fretboard and turt pickguard= goodness.

BTW you can get a new one for $200 more from www.basscentral.com

4. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Looks good, but isn`t a very good bass at all. For that money you can get a bass twice as good

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Interesting, please expand on why you think it is not a good bass, and thanks :cool:

6. Nice yea, but new they are 1599.00 from G.C. And on ebay it sold for $1500.00 +shipping used. Pics are nice but who knows??? I think At 1500.00 your Getting into used Sadowsky territory. Alot of really supernice-primo-awesome used basses to be had for that price.

7. I didn't know they made the MM's in black, that thing IS the sex.

That'll be the five I get, if I ever do get one.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My thoughts exactly. Nice bass, but I sure as heck wouldn't hit the BIN at the same price you could buy new for!

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    when i first read this thread a couple of days ago, and looked at the bass, i was VERY surprised at what it sold for...
    i have a friend here with the same bass and though it is nice , i didn't really think it was all that. i never cared for the Fender version of the Marcus preamp, i think the American Deluxe gets closer to that tone.. ( notch out the mids a little and its VERY Marcusy) also, though it is very sexy in black, i don't particularly care for the yellow " aged" block inlays...
    i do love the Am Deluxe Jazzes and alwasy wanted to check out the Custom shop 5 with the block inlays. just my .02

10. Adrian, I ordered one from Jeff before the firing...way before. Probably like 5 months prior. I told Jeff to take it off the list for me and he said, 'aw we'll just get it in here, and somebody will buy it...and not a sign of it. So...who knows how long a wait one would have to endure. (You're talking about the Custom Classic, correct?)

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I think it looks great. I have the 4 string and really dig it but I would have purchased 2 used SR5's for that price. ;)

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Great bass -- this is by no means a bad instrument. I saw the band jam section of a Britney Spears concert once and the bassist was using a MM5 -- fantastic slap tone. Totally awesome bass sound.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Bro, Jeff told me had one in, yes, the Custom Classic, i believe, i almost pulled the trigger. I do prefer the full size bodies. I don't know if it was the one you ordered, but he said it was there.
    So he was FIRED? man, they are clueless...
    maybe . and hopefully, the best thing that could happen to Jeff. he was always very cool to me , in his own Jeff Kissinger way. Where is he now?

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    never said it was bad, but to my ears, we played it against a Sadowsky , a Lull and a Lakland 55-94 and I preferred any of those other ones to the Marcus

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Yeah what ! A Warwick ? or a EB SR5 ?

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I can see were you're going with this Adrian,and here is my spin on this we are comparing a production run bass (i.e artist series) against 2 real good super high-end basses and I pesonally don't care for Lakelands period but that's just me.Anyway,I've heard the Marcus Miller V played by a couple players in its' stock" trim with both them going thru real,real nice Direct boxes and a Eden 500 with a 2 Aguilar 4x10's I must say that this bass more than held it's own with a few players at this avent(Full Gospel baptist Convention) who had the stellar,if you will high end basses,MTD's Ken Smiths,1-Mike Lull (which was the creme of the crop) and a few Yamaha trb's. BTW all these kids who were at this convention were exceptional players but a fair amount of these players were in agreememt with each other about how good the Marcus Miller V sounded. Adrian the deluxe does have a fatter sounding preamp but the neck is too bulky for me.Anyway as for me I think I'm going to wait for the Victor Bailey V due to be released 05 Jan

17. Yeah...that's probably it; cause I told Jeff to scratch it before he left...in leu of me ordering a P/J Ultra Vintage Sadowsky, due Dec./Jan.
    As for Jeff, he got divorced (not his doing), parents and grandparents passed...man he's just had a bad couple of years. They left him a little nest egg and he bought a house in Lake Worth. He's been working w/ Kevin Kaufman doing sound...I think he's going on road w/ Mike Stern so, yeah...probably a good move for him.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    please :rollno: