black metal basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anonymous88777, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Hey right now i have a fender P bass. I want something thatcan give me that dark hum. Emperor, Cradle of filth. I also want that versatility of playing that funky punch. So which bass i best for me. I was thinking anything along the lines osf a bolt on neck, With seymour duncan pickups and a jazz setting. Am i on the right track?
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Try ESP Guitars. They seem geared toward the metal side of things.
  3. Spector Rex Brown Signature 5 is a good metal bass as far as looks and sound go. I sure love mine. Hmmm. . . I gotta stop recommending this bass every time someone has a thread about what bass to buy. Anyway, I'm very pleased with mine and it's an option to consider.
  4. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    Chad from AHC uses a spector and makes some really cool tones.
  5. IMO, American black metal is an oxymoron. There are much better bands overseas.

But anyway, The Rex Brown 5 is a good choice, because you can turn up the low mids to get warm and it doesn't muddy up, which is mainly a function of the EMG pickups.

If I had to pick any bass for metal, I'd use Seymour Duncan Active Phase I soapbars for 5-string as the pickups, and have a 5'er neck through. I think the neck-throughs get more bottom end, sustain and fundamental notes (which I personally like for metal; if you turn your mids up a little and have a good amp setup, you will not only cut through like mad, but will be layin' down enough bottom end to shake people's feet without necessarily sounding like mud, which rules!), while the bolt-ons get more harmonics and sound "punchier"; with better attack. I prefer a bolt-on for punk and hardcore, for example. Not to mention that these aren't set rules; I've played many neck throughs with better attack than some bolt-ons (Rick 4003 for example), and I've played bolt ons that sustain extremely well (any high-end bolt on will generally do this).

But overall, I think I like the neck-through sound better. It will have the thickness to match the guitars. Not that bolt-ons can't be just as thick; play a P-bass with the Duncan SPB-2 pickup and TI jazz flats, and it will disembowel the audience if you have speakers that are just a little too large.

If you are going for extremely fast black metal (which a lot of European bands are), I would say get a bolt-on with the Phase I's. Personally, neck-throughs usually have more than enough attack for me, and I love their sound.

Good luck, and check out some Swedish and German black metal.

6. WHAT ABOUT WhERE it came form?????NORWAY!!!!

i like to consider this my area of evpertice, PM me i you wanna talk...

For Black metal...bass has never really been a big part of the sound, just the presence on one...i know Robin From CoF used a Peavy Cirrus bass, and got great tones..I love the P bass tone, thats why im getting one, but maybe the Quarter Pound P -bass Pups would work???
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  8. i consider MYSELF the expert, first COF isn't black metal. 2nd im pretty sure the roots of black metal are in finland and sweden, even thou i consider Norwegian black metal to rule all(thats subjective). if you want a dark hum a bass with jazz pups with a full on neck can give you that and the bridge can give you the funk. either way theres alot of different bass tones for black metal alot of which people dont hear or appreciate.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    robin eaglestone of CoF uses a peavey cirrus 5 string with a walnut top. one of the few metallers out there with a decent bass tone...especially live. i've seen ulver, arcturus, emperor, satyricon, dark funeral and a couple other "real" :rolleyes: black metal bands and they play a swath of bc riches, old aria pros, esp's and other sorts of odd shaped pointy basses all with a pretty crappy, inaudible tone. you can play metal on anything. really.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Word. I've played a pretty wide range of things, from funk to punk to black metal to acoustic sets, and a good P bass'll do ya.

For bonus points, EMG pickups (the real ones, not select or HZ) will get you a bitchin metal tone. I used a EMG modded Ibanez in my last band, which was a Cannibal Corpse via Napalm Death sound, and it was a pretty good tone.
  11. ok...he was wondering about CoF's bass tone, so I shared...anyway, what do you consider the roots? Venom was the ROOT! so under that premise, Black metal is German! Because Mayhem formed in 1984 after being inspired by Venom, (Mayhem is considered one of the first and best Black metal bands, I think they could have the Best Behind the Music!) anyway, fellow TBers, lets leave to our expert, Deep Death......right?
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, the one and only expert. i mean, look at his name, he MUST know more about metal than anyone else on this thing!:rolleyes: 1984...... year i was born......must be my calling.
  13. yeah, not a regular death....a Deep death:) :) :) :)

glad your here DeepDeath
  14. correct me if im wrong, but isnt Venom from Britain? research your stuff. Destruction and Kreator are from germany and thats pure f'in thrash. Mayhem is "considered" the first black metal band. but thats hard to say upon your interpertation of black metal and band. Mayhem recorded deathcrush, which was an early form but had very much death metal lyrics. old funeral and darkthrone were out there as well. and there were bands like beherit and bathory that influenced mayhem which are from sweden that could be actually considered black metal, theres also sex church and some other nameless bands. it doesnt matter who started what, because there were alot of bands then as there is now. it all about who is ruling now, i think mayhem is killing.
  15. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ummmmm....HAIL! and stuff
  16. Its not the metal in the bass; Its the metal in the bassist. I'm thinking a peavey cirrus would be good or probably anything with a nice set of genuine emgs.
  17. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL

18. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Talking about 'Black Metal', there's a (Finnish) band called Barathrum that has some interesting bassriffs going on some songs.

As far as for basses.. Anything pointy and black goes :p
  19. i wish i knew the basses necrobutcher was using in the European Legions video, they looked nice as hell and from what i can hear they sounded really good. alot of bassist in BM use distortion, i use it too but i use clean too. im thinking of selling my 1991 charvel eliminator bass with new active emgs. if you want it i'll sell it. very black metal and owned by me so you know its f'in evil! haha
  20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    are you old enough to be evil? hee hee

black metal is a style of music, not a style of can play any style of music on any instrument. seriously...