1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Metal pedals under $110 for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ronald Poe, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I know this might sound wierd after my Worship pedal thread, but I was curious about a Black Metal bass tone (I know Black Metal often has bass getting lost in the mix). I've got quite a few pedals and can't seem to nail the tone on bass or guitar. I know Black Metal tone is heavy on treble and to a lesser extent mids but the bass is generally lowered (at least in the guitars). When I'm talking about Black Metal, I mean bands like Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Hellhammer.

I've tried using a Boss CE-5 (on a subtle setting), Cool Cat Drive (with gain halfway), and Joyo California Sound (with Black Metal centric EQ) but it doesn't sound right. My amps include a Marshall MG-15 and a Fender Rumble 15 (I know those are practice amps but I've heard Norwegian Black Metal often uses practice amp and I can in fact get decent tones out of both). My only bass is an Ibanez GIO (I got it because I like the tone of the bass and it was a decent price) and my guitars include a Squier Strat and a BC Rich Warlock. I use the Boss CE-5 as my always on pedal because I love the way it affects my tone and feel it's good for both Extreme Metal and Worship. I can't afford to get a better amp at the moment nor do I have the room for a stack amp.

I'm curious if there's any affordable (under $110) pedals for a decent Black Metal tone (preferably for bass). If my stuff will do, how can I use them to produce such a tone. I'm a Metalhead/Music enthusiast with a diverse taste. Also my birthday is coming up and I'd like a good pedal for my list. I love the way basses feel and have a playing style that reminds people of a bassist (even on guitar to an extent).

My complete pedal list can be found here (it's the Worship pedal thread).
    Affordable Worship pedals for bass beginners

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    KromaatiKlauun, Karli and Ellery like this.
  2. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Check out the new Damnation Audio low pass loop. It apparently does some interesting things to your tone as a whole, but it blends a low passed part of your signal with anything in the loop. You could run something in the loop (like an HM-2 or a clone, MI Megalith Delta, or something else) while still playing the role of the bass, but in a black metal context.

I haven't tried it, and it's more expensive than you wanted but I do get my main distorted sound by blending high distorted sound with a clean low, and the Damnation MBD-1 has been one of my favorite distortion pedals.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    knumbskull likes this.
  3. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    Most norwegian bands from that era used any cheap fuzz pedals they could find for bass, i think japanese clones of the tonebender and superfuzz were common, i also recall something about a peavey fuzz.

My suggestion is finding the cheapest pedals you can find that says metal on them, ime the knobs and enjoy. 2nd wave black metal wasnt really about sounding good

Veldar, BurningSkies, Alex O and 4 others like this.
  4. An easy answer would be to get a Zoom B1on multieffect and experiment, but that’s my answer to everything lately, for every style.

I’m an experienced player, I have a ton of gear and own(ed) quite a few pedals. I recently got a B1on to replace a couple of less used pedals from my pedalboard. The thing ends up always on (comp and EQ) and replaces the need for a few pedals I used.

A great place to start but you have to be willing to spend time programming sounds and stacking different effects (lots of threads here about patches ideas). Within your budget (half of it really) and it’s not a toy. Honestly, it doesn’t sound cheap.

5. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    Duh! Valnøtt is what you're looking for!

Ok. Now a bit more serious! Here you go:
    Effects | Broughton Audio
    Crank it up until you can't hear the bass in the mix and you're good to go!

6. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I personally dislike multi-effect pedals and find them incredibly cheesy (might be a bad experience though). That being said I'd like suggestions for single effects. I'm not sure how a high-pass filter would sound on bass.

Karl_V and saabfender like this.
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Depends if you want low end or not.

If you want to go Old school, Boss Metal Zone sounds good for this kind of thing but will suck lows. Boss Heavy Metal likewise but a bit more prescence in the lows.

If you DO want good lows... Fuzzrocious Cat Tail will get you there maybe? Slightly over your budget but an amazing pedal. It’s not huge on low end but has enough to be bass-friendly.

saabfender likes this.
  8. That one isn’t cheesy. I used to hate multis too. It’s not perfect for everything and use it along with a bunch of single pedals, but for eq’ing and vomit style distortion :) I’d at least take 15 minutes with one at a GC if I were you.

Also, $110 won’t get you really far...

Plus, without any prejudice, using practice amps and a Gio will always be limiting. You may stick a $500 pedal between them, but it will never be perfect.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    saabfender likes this.
  9. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Amptweaker Tightmetal bass jr would probably get you there but it's more expensive. Isn't the black metal famed HM-2 usable on bass? I think Behringer makes a cheap clone.

knumbskull likes this.
  10. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    Which era ? the 90's or now ?

Cause, while there is a first wave norwegian black metal typical tone (aka metal zone) for guitar, there isn't one for bass. so you can pretty much get away with anything, clean or distorted, as long as it's "poorly produced" (there's actually a lot of studio trickery going on to make it sound poopy).

However, modern black metal or still active first wave black metal bands have evolved towards a more "hi-fi" production and a clearer tone. Just listen to the last darkthrone record, the guitar tone is hella crisp, crunchy and grindy.
    Most bass metal players nowadays use the darkglass stuff, or ampeg (the marduk dude used an SVT3pro for a while don't know if he is still using it), or a sansamp or whatever they feel like.

You mean the swedish death metal famed HM-2, it's the MT-2 that's black metal famed.
    And yes it sounds killer on bass.
    And yes, both these pedals have cheap clone available by behringer : HM300 for the hm2 and UM300 for the mt2

11. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I have a question, is the Fuzzrocious Cat Tail really worth the money (it's about $160 on Amazon and Ebay)? How is it different from a Proco Rat? Also should I get a Boss MT-2 (I know they're infamous but I've heard they sound decent on bass) instead? Those are my 2 favorites suggested.

I would get a Darkglass distortion but they're usually over $250 and I don't even have a band. Not even going to bother getting a tube amp until I can justify getting one, have the money (I'm saving up for a car), or have the room to store one. I also heard Mesa Boogie amps are common in Black Metal (especially the modern kind) and thought the California Sound could help.

12. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    I wouldn't spend money on boutique pedals to use them with an ibanez gio and a 15 watt combo.
    Better get several cheap clones, than one expensive pedal.
    Or if you don't want to buy cheap clones (behringer, joyo, etc ...) at least buy used

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I would say yes it is :)

Differences: 2 extra filters on the hi-mids and highs. You can dial in a *really* clangy tone if you want to. Also switchable between 3 subtly different distortion/clipping types. Finally, it’s more bass-friendly than modern Rats, i think it uses the same chip as the older Rats, which retained more low end.

MT-2 is very good at what it does but it *will* suck your low end. Not very usable for non-metal sounds on bass. The Cat Tail is much more versatile.

As i mentioned, the HM-2 is a bit more bass friendly than MT-2, too.

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Ah right... yes a better amp would serve you well.

Ikkir and Inconnu like this.
  15. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    dude wants a "black metal tone" he obviously don't care about low end :D

knumbskull likes this.
  16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Indeed :D

Just trying to avoid next week’s thread: “they told me to buy a Metal Zone and it sux on bass” etc

saabfender, stambroker and Beheroth like this.
  17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Cutting thru is more about mids than anything, and pushing a classic drive sound will get you well on the way to that. I admit I don't know to terribly much about what goes into the black metal bass sound, but I've heard amounts of low end that were all over the place, mild to wild, and suspect that's more of a personal/band preference.

The Rat Tail / now Cat Tail is essentially a Rat optimized for bass, and while I'm maybe more of a Grey Stache kind of guy personally, I would not be unhappy with a Tail on my board. Also, the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive can be had quite inexpensively used and can go from nice to nasty on bass. Tweak it with some head EQ and either fatness or lo-fi trash could be had.

stambroker likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't have the Cat Tail, but I have the MXR Bass Distortion which was designed by Fuzzrocious and is pretty much a stripped down Cat Tail. Love it! Don't play black metal but could easily see it kicking much ass for it.

19. qersty

qersty

Aug 15, 2012
    Sweden
    No, they used hm2s too. I only know of death metal bands like at the gates using metal zones. there isnt much information on what gear 2nd wavers used but i dont think they used the metal zone since it was new then and probably expensive, also it has too much bottom and saturation for that kind of sound.

In the end really though I think any distortion pedal would do

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021