1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Metal tuning?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DannyBob, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Okay, I know this is probably limited to a small number of people on this site, but is anyone else as surprised with 'black metal' and other genres close to it as me?

After hearing numerous songs classed as 'black metal' and other songs that burn churches, I was extremely surprised to find out that it was all in standard tuning. I thought that it would be in at least drop D, but I am yet to find a song that is in that tuning. I know that it focuses on diminished minor chords and such, but still, I thought it would have had some alternative tuning.

Guess it just shows the diversity of standard tuning eh?

So what I guess I'm asking is if anyone knows any songs to burn churches to that are in alternate tuning?

2. Paul Simon's "A Church Is Burning" is in Eb tuning.

3. VegetarianBass

VegetarianBass

Aug 23, 2011
    Dude ive read that Emperor (my favorite black metal group) played in E standard!

4. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Yeah, I heard that too, surprised me really

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I don't know any song in alternate tuning for the bass. Most of the time the down tuned bass is pretty lame IMO. They only follow the "rythm" guitar note for note which is very boring.

I also don't see why a genre should be in a different tuning ... because it sounds evil ? To me it doesn't sound heavier or whatever what, it is what you do with it that is more important

6. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    A lot of speedy metal gets really sloppy tuning below D standard. I listen to a lot of thrash and most of it is in standard as well. The ultra low tunings seem to work better with "slower" metal. Seems its more modern metal bands that use the ultra low stuff as well.

7. zmBass

zmBass

Sep 3, 2011
    England
    two comments above me, a completely false

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i associate the drop d stuff with grunge a lot of times

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    One of the signature features of black metal is the attenuation of bass frequencies. Frankly, I'm surprised so many of them even bother with a bass player (a few don't). It doesn't surprise me at all that they don't tune down very often.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    You don't have to down tune actually, E standard works fine too!

But you can always try Eb standard or Drop D. Drop C might be an option too, but you have to like it :)

11. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Whispered screams sound so much better in standard tuning.