Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Apr 28, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Anybody on here that appreciates the tortured technicality of norweigan black metal, please comment. Post some of you favorite black metal bands. What are other black metal fans listening to?

I'm still pretty much a newbie when it comes to black metal. I was into Venom and Celtic Frost back in the days, but that was a different era. It has been an aquired taste for me. But I'm becoming a big fan of the genre. Mayhem is my current favorite, Picked up a copy of "Chimera" recently...holy crap. Album is insane. I need to hear more stuff like that. I have some Emperor, Cradle of Filth, Satirycon, My Dying Bride, Dimmu Borgir. What else is out there thats worth checking out?

2. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I like all those bands you mentioned, especially Dimmu Borgir.

Some stuff by Sentenced is black metal but I prefer the ones with the singer that sings more. Also suprisingly somethings by Christian Death (Post Rozz, RIP) is somewhat blackmetal. I would check out Gorgoroth too, they are pretty good.

3. My favorite is (was) Immortal, and I also like Satyricon and Emperor.

I also love Borknagar, although they're not exactly black metal.

4. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Samael is anouther good band to check out not as technical as the more death oriented black metal but more atmospheric.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, if the rubber trenchoats mean anything, The Amenta will eat you for lunch.

Dark Tranquility is also decent.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, they have a lot of melodic death elements going on; still a great band though.

7. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    + 1 to Dark Tranquility, great band.

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool...i'll definitely check out some of the bands mentioned. I heard some Dark Tranquility...I thought it sounded like In Flames? I could be confusing them with a different band.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    HAHA, my favorite thread Smash. :D

Yeah, I appreciate the technicality and the new breed of BM has some very dramatic elements (keys, strings, choirs, etc) but all and all it's too much for me. That Emperor album I had.. was awful... I sold it. I gave it 3 solids listens... but I already ranted on that a while ago clearly.

I don't know, I dig some Venom and Celtic Frost... but... not my cup o joe.

10. Which album?

11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Dimmu Borgir is one of my favorite black metal ands. Check out 'Death Cult Armageddon' and 'Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia' if you don't have those.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Anthems to the Welkening at Dusk or something of that nature. One of the worst metal albums I've ever heard.

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I hear you...I thought black metal sucked at first. Not in a sense of musicianship/technicality, I just didn't get it at first. After many years and of listening to all kinds of extreme music I've come to appreciate it more. The energy, atmosphere, technical musicianship, and the Drums!! oh man the Drums. Not a very bass friendly genre though.

14. Oh, the few songs I've heard from that album were awesome! Well, to each his own. :)

15. In many black metal bands, the bass has a very important harmonic role. It tends to keep the more traditionnal role of the instrument. While the guitars are playing tremolo-picked ultra-fast melodies, the bass holds the pedal tone. Think a faster Iron Maiden.

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Suffocation - Storm of the Light's Bane. If you haven't heard this album you're really missing out on some of the genre has to offer. This is "pure" black metal at its finest.

Emperor - Prometheus is another absolute must for a good black metal collection. If you dig Emperor Pecatum (Ishan's other project) is worth checking out as well. Very different but has a lot of the same feel.

Sentenced "North From Here" is another album every metal head must own. It kind of walks the line between melodic death, black, and thrash but has some of the catchiest and most melodic riffs I've ever heard from a metal band, and the bass playing is really impressive too. The same applies to "The Gallery" by Dark Tranquility, which vies with Master of Puppets in my book for greatest metal album ever.

Samael's older stuff has a definate black metal feel, though they branched into some truly genre defying wierdness later, its all still really good.

Everyone's already mentioned Dimmu, and while they certainly catch a lot of crap for being sellouts due to popularity they're music is still incredible. The symphonic work on the newest album is really mindblowing. If you like this approach to metal you should definately check out the later records by Therion, again not really black metal in the purest sense, but a good band that appeals to a lot of the same elements.

Anyone who said they liked Borknagar needs to check out Agalloch ASAP. Its got the same raw atmospheric feel but is a little more musical and packs some of the best acoustic guitar use I've seen from the metal genre to date, even superior than Opeth at times. Also they're notable for being, of all things, American, pretty rare when discussing black metal acts.

Definately not for everyone, but like most complex forms of music you get out what you put in.

17. Man, Dissection recorded Storm of the Light's Bane, Suffocation is a pure death metal band (and they are great).

Edit: Beaten by Smash!

18. "Black Metal Friends" by Atom and His Package is a funny song.

Though that's probably not the kind of response you were wanting.

19. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My bad, I've been listening to so much of both the past few days I guess they blended together.

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Been diggin:

Dark Tranquility - Character

Bloodbath - Nightmares Made Flesh

Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Okay, so they probably arn't black metal (how much more black could it be?) - but they are kick ass metal albums! :D