Black Metal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by doobeye, Sep 4, 2010.

1. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    Just curious if there are any other fellow talk bass users out there who enjoy listening to various black metal bands? Am I the only one?

I'd like to take this opportunity to share a few of my favorite Black Metal bands and see if anyone could recommend me some new upcoming acts that you think are worth mentioning.

Lately I've been into a lot of early Darkthrone, Immortal, Marduk, Leviathan, Xasthur, Watain, Taake, Wolves in the Throne Room and of course Mayhem.

Enlighten me!

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Probably, but it's just a guess.

3. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Maryland Deathfest was great this year for black metal. Watains newest release was intense!

While more black thrash than true BM, Black Anvil's Time Insults the Mind was evil as hell and they have a new one in a couple weeks. I also love Aura Noir's last release.

I've also been spinning the latest Absu, Cobalt and Krallice. I noticed you did not mention Krallice. If you have never listened, do so ASAP. Perfect in all ways.

4. I can't say I like black metal musically, but I do like corpse paint...

5. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    Ah the east coast always has the best festivals. It makes me sad nothing like that ever happens here in CA. Though I noticed Watain is playing here with Black Anvil in November so i'll be stoked to see that. I love Krallice! Forgot to mention them as well as Cobalt, great stuff. I've been spinning a lot of Carpathian Forest lately as well. I've never heard Aura Noir, their name has been coming up a lot but I haven't had a chance to check them out. Any suggestion on which album of theirs is a good place to start?

You should check out Celeste, they're from France and they kick ass. http://www.myspace.com/unhiverdeplus

Glad to see i'm not the only one into darker music on here!

Thanks for sharing!

6. I like quite a few black metal bands as well. I'm not as deeply into BM as I was about 3 or 4 years ago, though. I still enjoy Samael, Burzum, Mayhem and Dimmu Borgir.

7. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    At certain times I like Black Metal, mostly alot of the more traditional stuff, Burzum, Marduk, Immortal, Dimmu Borgir, etc...

Pandora has actually been a good resource for me, they actually have a decent extreme metal/black metal selection, and it's fairly good at figuring out what you like.

8. Nachtmystium and Windir are pretty good. Dissection is really awesome. Listened to Wintersun? Not really full BM, but kind of.

9. Bathory, Bolt Thrower!

10. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    This is great! I'm excited to check out all these suggestions. So glad Bolt Thrower and Dissection were mentioned. I can't believe I forgot to mention one of my favorite BM albums of all time "**** the Universe" by Craft. Seriously that band never gets old.

Also this band Nyktalgia is awesome.

11. Antares

Antares

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hell yea! Wolves in the throne room and Xasthur have been two of my most listened to bands of the past couple months.

12. Can't access it in India :spit:

13. assan

assan

May 9, 2010
    I like Black Metal especially the band Sin Origin.

14. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    My current band went through a Black Metal phase - albeit jokingly. We had Krieg names: Thorgrim, Icehammer and Beerpubfootball and recorded one song with me on vocals. If I remember corrctley, the lyrics went:

Blegh

In the cold, frostbitten ice,
    Amognts the frozen leaves and mice,
    The fox he shall awake,
    And he wants his coffeeeeeee
    And toast.

With Jam!

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I used to be into it.

Favorite bands then and now:

Mayhem, Immortal, Darkthrone, Satyricon, Emperor, Absu (!), Carpathian Forrest, 1349, Zyklon, Behemoth, ...

Stopped 'following' the scene about 5 or 6 years ago.

16. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    Brown Jenkins is an interesting black metal band, and on their latest album (also the last one they will make) the bass was loud as f*ck. It's really doom influenced however
    so some of the purists might not like it.

17. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    True Black Metal is pretty much dead these days. Even then, I was never a fan. One of the few types of Metal I don't really listen to.

18. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    You pretty much said what I was going to say except I would add Borknagar, Enslaved, and of coarse...... VENOM

19. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I enjoy some black metal now and then. Some of it is more progressive black n' roll style (newer Satyricon, Khold, etc) and some of it is old school stuff like Emperor, Carpathian Forest, DarkThrone, Hecate Enthroned blah blah. My band has taken some influence from black metal, death metal, groove metal, industrial metal... I like a lot of things. There's just something I find oddly nice about some of the riffing on black metal, and the way the higher pitched screaming vocals fit in with the music.

Of course, some of it I don't much care for since it sounds like a wall of noise to me - I like stuff that has a distinct rhythm and style, and certain "coldness" to the sound.

I think my favorite BM song is I am the Black Wizards. Cliche', I know, but when they slam into the main riff on that song it never fails to give me a bit of an adrenaline rush :)

20. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    i love black metal and have been a fan for forever.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021