Black Nylon Tapewounds....a way to go?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scatman, Mar 16, 2005.

1. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Hey folks. Do any of you put any black nylons on fretted instruments? I do. I have found it to be the best sound ever. I keep flatwounds on my P's, but other instruments (Jazz and a MusicMan) have black strings.

Back in 2002, when I bought my Jazz, Black nylons were a necessity, for every regular roundwound (yes, I know the black nylon covers the round) that I put on their kept popping (I can't put flats on my tiny Jazz neck). So I experimented w/Black nylons, and not only did they stay on (have been on for three years), but it's the best sound I ever heard.

I recently bought a Musicman SUB, and put Black strings. The sound is bigger (on the Jazz, too!), and it gets rid of the tin people complain about. Just my observation.

Oh, yeah, I do keep flatwounds on the P Basses.
  2. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    To the moderator. Please move this thread to the strings section. Thanks.
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Do these nylon strings sound bright? For example, would they be good for rock/metal playing? I've been very happy with my DRs, but I may just try these strings out. Thanks.

4. I use 'em on my EUB to get a thumpier doublebass sound. They're fine for that. I've never thought about using them with frets.
  5. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Like I said, I put then on my Jazz 2 years ago as a necessity. Being so used to a strong attack on flats, I kept popping the G string from rounds I subsequently put on the Jazz.

The set up person at Rudy's shop in NY questioned my decision to also put black strings on the MusicMan, citing the possibility of a loud "hum" from the high output MM pickup. Happy to say that I've had no problems on that end. Peace.
  6. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    But just one question. Do you play a four or five string? If five, check and see if there are any available black nylons made for 5. Finding Fender Black strings for 4 is enough of a goose chase. Peace.
  7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I have used them on my Decca, several P-Basses, an Ibanez and my current bass (since '78) a Guild JSII.
    Love those strings and I have been using them since a knife/pumpkin incident in '69.

Wesley R.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    As far as brightness, the LaBellas are fairly bright, but you're not going to get that roundwound zing. IIRC, the Fenders are also somwhat bright, but I didn't keep them on long. Rotosound 88's are much more dark and thumpy.

You can get Labella nylons in a five-string set from Carvin. I tried them once, and I didn't care much for the B string, but YMMV.
  10. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I ran Labella tapewounds on my L2K for years. My bandmates loved the way they sounded. I also used a 5 string set on my MIM Jazz5 with similar results.
    Until recently I used LaBellas on my Curbow Exotic Petite 5. THe tape on the B string popped when stringing it up so I sent a email to the company. I got a reply the next day saying they would replace it if I sent the old one back. I sent it back. That was 2 months ago-- no string, no e-mail. So, I'm shopping around for a different brand. Right now I've got an old set of Carvin flats. I was considering Thomastik Jazz Flats, but I think they'd be too loose.
  11. jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I am currently using the Fender Tapewounds on my MIM Precision. I have had them on there for a month and I love the sound. I play jazz and blues mainly and they have a great tone. I am buying a new rig soon and I can't wait to hear them on a decent rig. I would recommend giving them a try.
  12. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I like nylon tapewounds a lot! Has a lot of thumpy low bass and that's what I like (no treble for me, thank you). Also, those tapewounds last forever -- I've got 8 months with the same pair. The only problem I have is that my string tree eats up the tape and exposes the strings.
  13. I have sets of Rotosounds on my fretted Washburn AB-20 and also on a parts bass I keep for recording they work wonderfully.
  14. I use labella tapewounds on my fretless Acacia... they sound marvelous. Its like a bright upright tone, and I like my tension low, so these fit well for me.
  15. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    On some basses they work great.
    I've seen that any bass with a lot of highs and mids,
    will sound good with tapewond strings.
    Even out overall sound of bass.
    But a bass with big lows, sound too muddy with tapewounds.
  17. My '78 Guild B302 came with ancient nylon wrapped. They sounded horrible, so I put on a set of nickel flatwounds. The only tone I could get out, regardless of trebble cutoff, was the nastiest, clankiest, shrill sound I'd ever heard. I immediately bought a new set of Fender black nylon wrapped and the bass now sounds like a million bucks. There are definetly times when they fit. I would NEVER put a set on my Modulus Flea though. Just not appropriate!