Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black nylon wound work on Magnetic Pickup

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by wen1012, Aug 11, 2002.

1. wen1012

wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Taipei,Taiwan
    Hi,
    Can Black nylon wound Double Bass string [LaBella]work on Magnetic Pickup ?

2. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    As long as they have a steel core they will work. I have used Eurosonics with a magnetic P.U. They have some kind of plastic or nylon outer wrap with a steel core and they pick up fine.

On the other hand I have tried steel outer wraped strings with a synthetic core and they do not work.

Kevinlee

3. wen1012

wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Taipei,Taiwan
    Hi Kevinlee,
    Thanks for your reply.I've find Eurosonics on upton bass,but don,t know how much price of it ? Does it expensive ? How much do you spend for it ? And do you think Eurosonics is better than Labella Black Nylon Type round ?

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I've never used Labella black nylon so I could not say if they are better or not.

I think the string you are refering to are the LaBella 7710. Anything I read about them always ends up saying something about the string that Ron Carter uses. I personaly am not crazy about Ron Carter's tone. Great Player, I just don't care for the tone.

The Eurosonics are very large in diameter. They have fairly low tension and a big sound. I like them. Theres other's that don't.

I don't know how much Upton Bass charges at there store but they are always running an auction for Eurosoncis on ebay and they seem to go for right around $80.00 so they are fairly cheap compared to alot of strings.

What style of music are you playing?

Kevinlee

5. wen1012

wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Taipei,Taiwan
    Thanks again,Kevinlee.
    I play in a jazz duo (w. Paino) at a small Bar every Friday and Satday night.Now I have Helicore Hybrid Medium on my Aria SWB-04 EUB,but it's sound too metallically to me,a local bass player suggest me to try some nylon wrap string,he say they'll make a big diffrerence.I don't have any idea,so just give it a chance to try.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I also play on a EUB, and don't recommend the LaBella 7710 or Eurosonics to you. I've tried both and they were quite twangy.
    Maybe you should try the Helicore Orchestrals. They are much warmer than the Hybrids.
    I use orchestral-type strings myself on my EUB to get a warmer, more natural tone.
    (I use Pirastro or Jargar strings)

7. I have a friend of mine who use BSX EUB with spirocore orchestra (the most popular sting in my country). It has a great pizz sound. However, I do not like that sound. Personally, I just switch from Spirocore to Pirastro steel strings.

Flexocore might be your choice.
    (Thank you Francios for your valuable recommendation, my eyes just open).

However, I have some problems from using Pirastro.
    The price seems to be expensive. Moreover, no local dealers carry Pirastro strings in my country. May be you can find out in Taiwan.

8. wen1012

wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Taipei,Taiwan
    Thanks for francois and precision61,and I want what kind of pickup that setup on your EUB ? On my SWB-04 has 4 magnetic pickups on end of fingerboard and Fishman BP-100 on bridge,both can turn 0n/off .

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My Carruthers SUB-1 comes with a piezo located under the tone bar on the G string side of the bridge.
    (the area under the tone bars is hollow)

10. After asking my friend, He told me that his BSX amplified with Piezo under bridge. Also, BSX has some on-board Preamp. The body is made by poplar wood (I am not sure, may be alder.).

11. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Presto bass strings (now the Eurosonics) are what Labella tried to copy and ended up with the Black Tape Wounds. When the Presto string co. stopped importing strings, a "player" (I can't say who) brought the Presto strings to Labella to copy. Labella couldn't get the wrap the same, I'm not sure why they went with the black. Maybe an attempt to make something out of the work they put in.

Heres a link to that page you couldn't find wen1012

http://www.uptonbass.com/acclist_main.asp?acctype=x

12. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Possibly Ron Carter.