1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Oak Arkansas ???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Any Black Oak Arkansas fans ???

I recently pulled them up after a long break from them . I listened to them growing up with a friend in the 70's.

He died back then and I guess I put them out to pasture.

Bass lines are very busy .

2. I grew up here in Arkansas and was 10 when Black Oak's first album came out. I loved em'! I found a CD release of that same album a few years ago, it had been about 30 years since I had heard any of that album. Man! it sounds as good to me now as it did when I was 10! After 35 years of playing music myself, it gave me an even greater appreciation of their music. They're still playing, of course it's not all of the original members. Rock Jim Dandy!!

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I saw them live back in the day. I liked them pretty well, rock 'n roll washboard, lol. Does he still do that washboard thing?
    I remember my girlfriend just loved Jim Dandy. Specifically, his pants.

Edit: my favorite tune of theirs was "Keep The Faith".

4. These guys are awesome, I remeber listeneing to them for the first time, very nico Rock Music

5. "You feelin' good, 'cause you got a lot of motor under your wheels..."
    I saw them in 1972 or '73 on a bill with King Crimson and Sweathog. (You don't get bills like that today.) (Maybe that's a good thing.) They knew how to rock.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I saw them on a bill with some other bands around '72, I really remember being blown away by the drummer who was Tommy Aldridge, he just killed!

7. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    +1 He's one of my alltime favorites. Just checked out his website, he doesn't seem too interested in keeping it current. Under "Dates" it says a new schedule will be put up in "early 2007". I think ya missed that deadline, Tommy.
    In his bio he mentions a lot of other bands by name, but not BOA. Evidently it ended badly, legal problems and whatnot. That's a shame, but not unique. :rolleyes:

8. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    They are still out there touring. Nice guys (obviously not all original), did monitors for them a year or two ago.

I think that was the loudest stage volume I've ever heard. It was :eek: loud.

-Mark

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I once played on an album that was engineered by Jeffrey Lesser, who had recorded Tommy Aldridge in either Whitesnake or maybe Pat Travers Band...anyway, Jeff said that Tommy possesses an impressive skill (sic) he'd never seen in any other studio drummer: he would drop sticks -- constantly, not just once or twice but literally dozens of times during a take -- and yet never miss a beat. He was so used to dropping sticks & pulling a replacement out of his bag that it was totally automatic, smooth, effortless, silent, and instantaneous.

I'm afraid my awareness of Black Oak Arkansas is limited exclusively to Ruby Starr, who would stand onstage wearing super-short denim cutoffs, spike heeled pumps, and a bandana barely tied around her hooters and scream "GO JIM DANDY!" while shaking her ass. I suppose the band was actually playing music at the time, but I didn't notice.

10. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    didn't shawn lane play with them for a while?

that guy was something else:bassist:

11. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    i think shawn was 16 when he played with them...

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    VERY underrated "southern rock" band, they sure could boogie! My personal fave album of theirs is "High on the Hog" and for some reason I got a second vinyl copy for a buck at salvation army not too long ago...

Jim Dandy was in large part (no pun intended) the inspiration for David Lee Roth's stage persona...

13. Lazylion

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Completely understandable. :D
    lol that makes perfect sense!