Black or no?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Knowlton, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'm assembling a fretless with Warmoth parts. Body is quilt maple with a transparent black finish and will have black hardware. The neck is lined, with an ebony board.

Should I go "stealth" and finish the maple neck black? Give me some opinions - I know there are some out there!

Dan K.
  2. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Finished necks tend to be sticky. I'd go with living it natural with a nice tung oil finish or the like. It will feel like silk. Also I think the contrast of the natural wood against all that black will make the bass more interesting looking.

3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Black body with black PG and chrome hardware, unfinished maple boards look pretty sweet...
  4. +1:D

5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Not if they're done correctly. I have 1 finished neck and it feels the same as my other ones.
  6. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i would say leave it in the maple color. a semi shiny fretboard would look nice.
  7. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Now let me understand, are we talking about a lined ebony board or a potential maple board? I thought the question was whether to paint the back of the neck black to give the bass that "stealth" look.

8. IMO leave the neck maple. Don't paint it. Maybe have the headstock matching however?
  9. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    I agree about finishing the headstock, I think an unfinished headstock looks Meh on a black bass with a ebony fretboard (Looks good when there's a maple fretboard though). Everything's dark, and then you have this pale headstock... yech.
  10. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    satan finished necks (i.e. musicman sub bass) feel quite nice. other than that, i'd go with a natural finished neck. its just tends to be a lot smoother...
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    [URL="]"None more black..."[/URL] :D

As for painting the neck, I've found that a good satin finish can be just as playable as tung oil or EB/MM's gunstock/wax combo, but even gloss can have its place - the owner of the above stated, "As far as feel goes, SLICK is the only word that describes it. I think as long as i keep the neck nice and clean, i might have to stick with gloss necks on my 5s"
  12. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I say stealth it up!:bassist:
    Who cares about playability...we're all here for looks right?:bag:
  13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Maple. There is no other way with a black bass :cool: ;)
  14. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Go stealth! It's a great look. I'm having a fretboard on one of my Rics refinished in black though so I may be biased.
  15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I say go stealth, but hows about a Bubinga neck? Personally I think that you can do better than just maple (for looks. I don't know how some of these other woods sound offhand).
  16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Well, I already have the neck, so other woods are out. It is maple with an ebony lined board.

Right now I'm leaning toward painting the headstock and leaving the neck maple. I have had good success in the past by using 1200 grit sandpaper on a glossy finish to prevent drag playing the bass.

Dan K.
  17. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    PERFECT! Its going to look great. And though most will not see the back of the neck, when it does peek through, its going to make a pretty cool contrast too all that black plus the neck finished with some sort of oil/wax mix is going to feel like silk. Good luck!

18. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Yowsers! :p
  19. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Good choice.

See you on the 6th.

- pt