1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black or white Carvin XB76 fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fivestringgecko, Aug 19, 2007.

1. So, I'm thinking I want to get a new fretless and have narrowed it down to a Carvin XB76. I thought about basses like Ristola, Modulus, Status, Zon, etc. but I don't want to spend that much $$$... yet. :)

I've decided that even with all the gorgeous exotic basses I've seen in my looking/thinking, I want to go simple. Unfortunately, I'm on the fence about which I like better, black or white. This morning, it was black. Tonight, it's white. Which do you guys like better?

(I know this is a 5-string... I had to photoshop the fretboards in and they didn't have a white 6-string posted on their site. Also, the white would have black hardware. A little imagination is required... :))
    Fretless_Basses.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

5sg

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

White. So class.

Although black/stealth is pretty win too.

3. Exactly what I thought, classy bass vs. ninja :ninja: bass! But you're not helping my indecision... ;) :D lol

4. Buy the white one......................................................

First! :)

Then, get the black one and have a "Good&Evil" twin bass setup! :D :bag:

5. zero_cool

zero_cool

Feb 16, 2007
    North Dakota
    both are obviously amazing but personally I am 110% with the white! so much class and style!

6. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    White. FTW! :D

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Black, but have you thought about looking at a used Pedulla fretless? They simply don't hold their value on the used market, and no one builds a fretless bass like Pedulla.

...and if you go that direction consider ordering the newer Carvin soapbar pickups: for the longest time Carvin's pickups and preamp were consider their "weak link", and every review I've read and commented on the quality of the new pickup/preamp combo.

8. Apparently they have fixed that. The new soapbars are supposed to be awesome.

9. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Go with white... I've had this really weird attraction to white basses lately.

Hmmmm might need to add one :)

Peace

-Benny

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

+1 here.
    Otherwise, white!

11. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    How about white transparent? I really want one of those... :)

12. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    White w/ black hardware... Nice contrast!! ;)

13. kdlunde

kdlunde Guest

Nov 8, 2006
    I voted white, but here's what I would do (I almost did this 4 years ago when I bought a Carvin): Get white with blackburst edges. It may not be readily apparent from their options, but they can do that. In fact, I originally ordered mine that way, then changed my mind to Claro Walnut. There are many times that I thought I should have stayed with the white with blackburst edges.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    White, it just looks incredible!

15. white cuz the black one gives me nightmares.

:eek: :bawl: :crying: :bag: :p :smug:

16. Thanks to everyone for their input!

I've also thought about the "evil twin" theory - getting both - but my G.A.S. also has me eyeing a new Markbass rig...

The new soapbar pickups are on the list for the build, along with the piezo bridge pickup, simply because it would only end up costing $40 more. I may not use them all that much, but for that small of a difference in price, why not have them for the tonal toolbox, right?

Hmm... black burst on white... hadn't thought of that one. It definitely looks pretty hot, but I still think I like the class/stealth of the simple black or white, you know? Maybe I'll have to keep that one in mind for the next bass... :D
    (apologies for the rough image, it was just a quickie photoshop job...)
    Carvin_Fretless_blackburst.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll keep you guys posted of course! :)

5sg

17. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    White w/black hardware = win. You can even put Black Beauties on it to complete the look.