1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Pearl Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JamesHommersen, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ok, so I'm on the edge about trading my Bluebeard for a Black Pearl with a mids switch. I saw the old thread in which grygrx made soundclips, but I couldn't access the links. I'd like to know if any of you have tried/owned this pedal and what you thought of it, i.e. +/- qualities. I like my Bluebeard, but it just doesn't compare to my Grey Stache and TAFM. Should I go ahead with the trade? Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Clips for that are here:
    http://bassfuzz.com/2008/05/01/golden-age-black-pearl-distortion/

It's a well made Swollen Pickle clone (from the period when the Pickle was expensive). There is a bit more cut to it than the BB in my opinion, and I imagine the mids switch only enhances that situation. That said, I think the pickle is a bit of a two trick pony on bass, and while I personally love those two tricks, it's not for everyone.

3. Thanks grygrx, I knew I should have checked bassfuzz. With what you said and the clips, I'm going to keep my Bluebeard. The Black Pearl certainly looks interesting, I'd like to try it, but I guess now isn't the time.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021