Black Pearl Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JamesHommersen, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ok, so I'm on the edge about trading my Bluebeard for a Black Pearl with a mids switch. I saw the old thread in which grygrx made soundclips, but I couldn't access the links. I'd like to know if any of you have tried/owned this pedal and what you thought of it, i.e. +/- qualities. I like my Bluebeard, but it just doesn't compare to my Grey Stache and TAFM. Should I go ahead with the trade? Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys!

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Clips for that are here:
    http://bassfuzz.com/2008/05/01/golden-age-black-pearl-distortion/

It's a well made Swollen Pickle clone (from the period when the Pickle was expensive). There is a bit more cut to it than the BB in my opinion, and I imagine the mids switch only enhances that situation. That said, I think the pickle is a bit of a two trick pony on bass, and while I personally love those two tricks, it's not for everyone.

3. Thanks grygrx, I knew I should have checked bassfuzz. With what you said and the clips, I'm going to keep my Bluebeard. The Black Pearl certainly looks interesting, I'd like to try it, but I guess now isn't the time.