Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

black pickguard for fender jazz? lightweight tuners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Bufo, Mar 5, 2002.

1. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    Are there any manufacturers making black Fender jazz pickguards? I don't believe Fender makes them in that color, and I have not been able to find one in stores.

Also, I'm thinking about changing the tuners on my Geddy Lee jazz to some lighter ones, due to its neck heaviness. Would this solve the neck dive problems? Any recommendations? Out of all the Fender jazz basses I've played, the Geddy Lee is the most neck heavy. Is there any particular reason for this?

Thanks for any info you can provide me.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Fender does make black pickguards for jazz basses. You can choose from 3 ply black with the little layer of white in the middle (I recommend this), or just a single ply all-black one.

As for tuners, I suggest you try the Hipshot Ultralite tuners. They're pretty $$$ though.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    a jazz bass neck heavy?

what what what what what?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I know mine sure isn't! With such a big heavy body, it would be hard for it to be?

I have one of the first run Geddy Lee's, and it has an alder body. Maybe they switched to an even lighter wood?

5. actually, i find almost all american fenders to be neck-heavy. bulky headstock plus big honkin' tuners in 4-in-line configuration makes for some dive.

but it sure does LOOK good!

6. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    You really don't think its neck heavy? I got mine about a year and a half ago, and it does have an alder body. The imbalance really isn't too bothersome standing with a strap, but sitting down, I find it gets rather uncomfortable if I'm playing for a long time. I've never found any other jazz basses to be neck heavy but the Geddy Lee. I thought maybe its because its designed after an early 70's jazz, that perhaps the design or tuners may slightly different from the new ones? I'm perfectly comfortable playing any new Mexican or American jazz basses.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sitting down without a strap, it is a little unbalance. With a strap, sitting or standing, I have no problems with neck dive.