Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dino, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    Hey guys
    Have you heard the bass sound that come out of the record of BRMC? I find it exactly the sound i'm searching for. In the book of this cd I saw that he uses a grat semiacoustic. It seems a Guild bass. Can you confirm? Anyone knows what kind of effects and amp he uses?
    If you never heard it i suggest to buy it or to ask for it to your friends.

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ciao dino

i ordered the cd and i'm waiting to hear it...

3. I saw them live, and they were good. I dont think it was semi-acoustic, looked solid to me. I didnt recognise the bass, but he used distortion or overdrive a lot. I wasnt near enough to see what he was using.

sim

4. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    Isn't it a semiacoustic?
    [​IMG]

5. Hmmm, I may have been mistaken, but then again, he may not have used that bass when i saw him

sim

6. according to an article in the NME about their gear, it's a Gibson EB-2. a single-pickup version, I think.

comparisions have been made between BRMC and the Jesus and mary Chain, and I can see there's a strong similarity.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I heard a track by them on the radio the other day - distinctive name! I agree it sounds like a complete rip-off of Jesus and Mary Chain.

Just as bad as they were - it was a really horrible sound - everything distorted - and not "good" distortion, but it just sounded badly-produced to me!

I must say that J &MC were the most over-rated bunch of posers I have ever seen - basically they tried to make a virtue of not being able to play and having no real songs - they only knew a few chords and just wacked everything up to painful levels. To me they were just taking the mick out of their audiences - they obviously didn't rehearse and couldn't even keep a steady rhythm going - sometimes they would just push the drums over and stumble about. Worst band ever!

I made a mental note to avoid this new band in future! ;)

8. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    -De gustibus non disputandum est!
    -Non è bello ciò che è bello ma è bello ciò che piace
    -Is not good what is good but is good what you like
    -:)

This is only a literally translation of an italian turn of phrase, but i think that what you see as the bad side of them could be considered as theyr force.
    I liked too much J &MC, and now the BRMC. I don't think that they had a badly production, i really enjoy their sound (expecially the sound of their bass with it's distortions).

What kind of bass sound do you like?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Clean, rich and well-defined - not hidden behind a lot of cheap distortion!

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hey bruce i'd like to know your opinion on the bass sound i had a couple of years ago: a rickenbacker 4001 thru a bigmmuff, mesozoic EKO tube head and paleozoic ampeg cab...

http://neanderthal2069.interfree.it/

11. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    We couldn't never be friends ;)

12. I got the BRMC record when it came out around a year ago. They have always reminded me of a cross between the Stooges and JAMC, who I love dearly. They are going out on tour with Spiritualized here in the States, and I think I just may have to go. I think BRMC did an episode of Reverb, so you might want to keep an eye on the HBO schedule for repeats.

And Bruce, FWIW several of the songs on the record are actually taken from their self-produced demo tape. I think the band and label wanted to avoid a polished sound. Just think, would Psychocandy sound as cool if it was actually recorded well?

13. Hmmm, i think the disortion, to be fair, suited there overall sound. A lot of feedback, static and white noise. They also kept detuning and retuing their guitars while playing to get weird sounds, which i have never seen before.

sim

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well that's what I meant by badly-produced - I could get a better sound on my Fostex 4-track!

It really stood out as bad on the radio - as in - turn that off!!

That just says to me : "We can't actually play our instruments!" :rolleyes:

15. caden000

caden000

Jul 7, 2010
    Denver, CO
    old thread i know, but the statements about BRMC not being able to play their instruments are false. negative opinions toward any band should not be presented as fact, especially on a thread complimenting the band and bass tone.

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    lol troll much?

17. caden000

caden000

Jul 7, 2010
    Denver, CO
    not me sir

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Seems as though. Why pull out an over nine year old thread to argue on? Telling someone that their opinion of a band (which wouldn't be taken from anyone as fact) is false seems to be trying to pick a fight. Sure to you the dudes may be able to play, and to others (like Bruce) they may be hacks, but its still opinion. Start a new thread on them, instead of bringing up a nine year old one. It'll look better not to spread negativity on anyone, be they BRMC or fellow posters here.

19. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    lol grave dig much ?

FTIW I love Howl, not so much anything else they did, it all seemed just okay in comparison.

20. Maybe when you get your music played in a critically acclaimed picture like "Lost in Translation" you can downplay Jesus and Mary Chain, until then maybe you should work on appreciating the multitude of styles and music available to the community as a whole.