Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Rose Custom '51 P/J Custom

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mchildree, Aug 20, 2005.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is a bass built for me by John Wymore in Aug. 2002. Constructed of quality components: Warmoth Super Bass Tele-style maple/maple neck 1.5" at nut w/vintage yellow finish and Hipshot Ultralight tuners, Warmoth alder slab-style P body with forearm and belly contours in Lake Placid Blue, Schaller hardware, Fender string-thru bridge, Duncan Basslines Hot-P and Jazz Hot Stack pickups (all passive), stack-knob controls, black tolex Fender HSC, currently strung with a new set of TI Jazz Flats.

Plays super and sounds great...very responsive and "spanky" if you use round-wounds and dig in (think Robert DeLeo's tone) but can also get a good mellow vintage vibe with flats and a lighter touch. Good tonal variation just varying the amount of bridge pickup added. In great shape, with only minor play wear and a bit of scratching on the headstock face that I couldn't get in a photo (from removing a flaky decal). More photos and details available if you want. I have over $1200 invested...selling for $700 shipped in the US 48 states. Paypal okay.

[​IMG]

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Man, that's a beauty. I love the look of the 51's. I'm a fretless only player, so that means having one built. Just a bump for a nice axe.
    Doc

3. That bass could make me change my anti-painted/lacquered finish-w/maple-fretboard stance. Please tell me you don't want a fretless Rebop 5 in trade for it, as that would cause unneccesary(well, unwelcome at least)stress in my marriage. :rollno:

4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Sorry...not interested in trades...so you're safe! I just have too dang many basses and I'm finding good homes for them...

5. hooligans

hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    what is this "too many basses" you speak of?

That is a gorgeous instrument, best of luck in selling it... and leaving it :(

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
  7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Lower price...$650 shipped in the 48 US is as low as it goes.