1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black Rose Custom '51 P/J Custom

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mchildree, Aug 20, 2005.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is a bass built for me by John Wymore in Aug. 2002. Constructed of quality components: Warmoth Super Bass Tele-style maple/maple neck 1.5" at nut w/vintage yellow finish and Hipshot Ultralight tuners, Warmoth alder slab-style P body with forearm and belly contours in Lake Placid Blue, Schaller hardware, Fender string-thru bridge, Duncan Basslines Hot-P and Jazz Hot Stack pickups (all passive), stack-knob controls, black tolex Fender HSC, currently strung with a new set of TI Jazz Flats.

Plays super and sounds great...very responsive and "spanky" if you use round-wounds and dig in (think Robert DeLeo's tone) but can also get a good mellow vintage vibe with flats and a lighter touch. Good tonal variation just varying the amount of bridge pickup added. In great shape, with only minor play wear and a bit of scratching on the headstock face that I couldn't get in a photo (from removing a flaky decal). More photos and details available if you want. I have over $1200 invested...selling for $700 shipped in the US 48 states. Paypal okay.

[​IMG]

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Man, that's a beauty. I love the look of the 51's. I'm a fretless only player, so that means having one built. Just a bump for a nice axe.
    Doc

3. That bass could make me change my anti-painted/lacquered finish-w/maple-fretboard stance. Please tell me you don't want a fretless Rebop 5 in trade for it, as that would cause unneccesary(well, unwelcome at least)stress in my marriage. :rollno:

4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Sorry...not interested in trades...so you're safe! I just have too dang many basses and I'm finding good homes for them...

5. hooligans

hooligans

Aug 2, 2005
    what is this "too many basses" you speak of?

That is a gorgeous instrument, best of luck in selling it... and leaving it :(

6. -I think-
    :rolleyes:

7. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Bump...

8. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Lower price...$650 shipped in the 48 US is as low as it goes.