1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black/Rosewood Pickguard opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonestarwings, Feb 26, 2008.

1. White (W/B/W)

31.7%
  2. Black (Black .090)

68.3%
  1. I just put a black .090 pickguard on my black p-bass w/ rosewood fretboard. Was wondering if I could get some opinions on how you think it looks compared to the white one that was on there before:

Before................................................................................................After
    bass. blackfender.

I think the black looks better in person but worse in the photos. Kind of strange.

2. s34s0ns

s34s0ns

Feb 14, 2008
    san jose, ca.
    i like the black on black a lot actually

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very nice I like it much better than the plain white, though I have to admit that tort is my fav with black/rosewood combo.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    From the pictures, I prefer the white. I'd probably prefer the black if it were B/W/B. Having the white ply would give it a nice outline. My favorite is tortoise shell on black too though. Black pearloid is nice too.

5. I vote tort

6. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    +1, I think B/W/B would look real nice. I like the black p/guard betterof the two.

7. My first vote would be tortoise, then black or white pearloid. I'm not a fan of a plain white pickguard. That's just me...

But on that bass, I think the white looks better than the solid black.

Steve

8. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Tort, if you are older than 21.

9. I do like the black, but I can really see a tort on that thing. That would really make it look sharp.

10. Thanks for the replies and votes. I considered red tort and black pearl too but I figured they would be too flashy. They do look pretty good though. Maybe if or when I get tired of the solid black I will try out a red tort.

11. Richard89

Richard89

May 7, 2007
    Sweden
    I think it looks much better with the black than with the white. But I really think a tort pickguard would look great on that bass. I don't think that would be too flashy, it depends on which red tort you choose. I think some red tort pickguards looks a bit too red. But a Fender American Vintage style tort would probably look really nice.:)

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Niether option covers the correct choice... It needs a Tort PG. [/thread]

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I agree that the B/W/B would set it off a bit. But I, too, would prefer tort. Especially a brown tort (as opposed to the red tort). I think the brown tort would blend very nicely with the rosewood.

14. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Black but it needs to be B/W/B in a bad way. Solid black is good only for blonde/butterscotch IMHO.

15. Ditto.

If it's not an option at all, I'd go white.

16. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    as they are, i think the white is better, but the black would look killer if the pickup covered where white

17. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 I like the outline, you don't get that with single ply black

18. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Carrot vote for tort. If you had to go black, it should be 3 ply black/white/black.

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

Ditto every word.

20. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1....I much prefer b/w/b with a Black bass.

George