1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Russian Muff & LS-2 vs Deluxe Bass Big Muff π

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatbass, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Hi.

I have a black Russian Muff and love the sound. However, the bypassed sound is awful. Also, the fuzz lacks a slight bit of low end.

Possible solutions:

1. Buy a Boss LS-2 (can get one for €65 now) for bypass and blend.
    2. Buy an EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff (€88).

Which one would you choose?

Other considerations: the Russian Muff is total pain in the arse practically: reversed jacks, low quality jacks and pots, no 9v-in, unnecessarily large (especially with an LS-2 attached to it), no true bypass etc. But I love the sound and want to keep it original.
    I'll deal with all the shortcomings, unless the Deluxe sounds equally as good, or better.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    The DBBM will sound nothing like the Black Russian. I would get the LS-2. It will have plenty other uses for you in the future too.

DirtyDuke, zapped777 and alecduncan like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The current EHX Bass Muff's are terrible pedals and sound nothing like a Muff (how ironic).

The answer to your question is to get one of these:
    Stomp Under Foot Civil War
    Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian
    Vick Audio Black Russian

zapped777, toberoo and eveilleu like this.
  4. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    I was thinking about that... Will the LS-2 allow me to switch between two basses and one amp?

I knew this answer would come sooner or later :D

The TFR looks really appealing, but over here they're €200+, must be shipped from abroad (but within Europe), I can't try them out, I don't have that much to spend... and uhm... I'm OK with the sound of my Russian Muff :)

5. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    I would go with the LS-2. The new Bass Muff doesn't come close to the Black Russian.

Also, not sure how picky you are but do some research if you're getting a clone. The "black" Russian is not the same as the "tall font" Russian and some consider the black to be better with the bass. It is, if I remember correctly, the same as the "bubble font" Russian.

zapped777 likes this.
  6. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Thanks!

I don't really know how picky I am. I usually guess what pedal I might like, buy it and stick with it. And so far I've ended up with "classics / pedals you can't really go wrong with" (OC-2, DD-7, SBDDI, VT Bass, MXR 10-band EQ...)

The W&C website says that the TFR is brighter or 'more open'. But I guess I like darker fuzzes better. Any suggestions for clones?

7. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I would definitely go for the LS-2: it is invaluable for effects that take away the low-end thump like fuzz or modulation - you can also use it as an instrument/amp splitter, mixer to even out volume between two different effect chains (beyond just blending in clean bass tone), and use out of the outputs to trigger an external feed like an Envelope Filter trigger.

Distortion/fuzz in particular sounds best with no clean blend, imo - it really lets all of the dynamics out in one signal. Then, with the LS-2, you can blend in whatever you like without taking away the gnarly fuzz you have in the sidechain.

zapped777 and socialleper like this.
  8. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    So...

LS-2 is invaluable for FX that take away low-end, then...
    fuzz sounds the best with no clean blend, then...
    use the LS-2 to blend.

Ehh.... what? :woot:

9. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I'm sorry, I probably didn't explain that super well! What I meant was that in my experiences, I like the tone fuzz with no in-unit clean blend, with full on nasty fuzz. I can blend in my clean tone with the LS-2 completely separately, allowing for a more "full" tone. I like the results of relying on my LS-2 to blend in clean tone over just about ANY dirt pedal that has its own mix control.

10. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    OK, thanks! But how could a blend (or dry vol. & wet vol.) on a pedal be different than a separate blend box?

11. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I have no answer for that on a technical level, but it just sounds more powerful to me! Not to mention with a separate blend box you can run your clean tone in chain A and octave->fuzz->envelope filter (or whatever you want your modulation to be) in chain B for a very full and bass-friendly signal.

12. bassburner

bassburner

Dec 8, 2008
    It's because of the jiggery-pokery in the whosawhatsit circuit.

Flatbass and alecduncan like this.
  13. eveilleu

eveilleu

Oct 30, 2013
    Montreal, Qc
    I have a SUF Civil war and use one of these Blender V1 It's really nice!!

I had a big bass muff for a few weeks last year and they're nothing alike.. for real!

Still, have a look at that blender, it does a great job.
    Eric

14. eveilleu

eveilleu

Oct 30, 2013
    Montreal, Qc
    I know it sounds like it makes no sense but.. he's actually right ;)

I get better sounds from not blending my oxide and giving it tons of drive, then using my blender to mix them instead of using the clean and effects volume from the pedal.. prety wierd I know.. but that's how it is!

alecduncan likes this.
  15. +1, W&C TFR for the win. wonderful pedal

***read the rest of the thread***
    LS2 should get your low end back, and if you like the sound then keep that.

alecduncan likes this.
  16. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    OK, cool. I might experiment a bit with that, although I'm pretty 'purist' in my own way. With the exception of the OC-2, I only use 'natural' effects like overdrives, volume pedal, EQ and sometimes delay for some ambience.

I'm sure it's great, and it has a neat logo, but it's too expensive for me!

Hmm... interesting! Does a Muff sound better with the volume on 10, by the way?
    Thanks.
    I just ordered the LS-2. I found a decent deal on a b-stock one.

17. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I have an older Sovtek Big Muff with the bubble letters...It's nothing like what's available now. I'll keep my big green box!

18. nendo

nendo

Apr 27, 2007
    Yeah, the Russian big muff is something else. I love it with my ls2. It gives me complete control ovet the blend. The modern veraions of the muff as poopie, only because I dont think electro harmonix can really make a decent pedal any more. None of the modern ones sound half as good as the older one. Thats probably due to the parts no longer being available to purchase. Their bass big muff was meant to mimick the Russian but they then came out and said they then tweaked it to sound better (or some poopie like that) which to me sounds like a lazy attempt to clone the sound, couldnt so they packages what they made and sold it as it was
    was

eveilleu likes this.
  19. eveilleu

eveilleu

Oct 30, 2013
    Montreal, Qc
    LOL I have no idea.. unity is about.. 8-9 oclock.. it's a crazy pedal, never tried anything past 10-11 oclock!!

20. Nice job on choosing the LS-2, you really open up a lot of possibilities with one of those guys.