Black Russian Muff question (Battery & power supply)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by abracadunphy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Hello, I just want to know, is it safe to use the pedal with this adapter? Thanks!
    preview.jpg

2. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    No one knows?

3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    Google Black Russian power supply. Lots of threads about it to read through.
    Sorry but that's likely your best bet. Good luck.

4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    it is impossible to tell based on the picture alone

5. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Why?

6. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    The tip on the left of the image connects the power supply, and the other end on the right of the image connects on the connector that is inside the pedal.

7. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    What power supply do you want to use? The polarity of the cable is needed.

Is the adapter reversing the polarity or keeping it the same?

abracadunphy likes this.
  8. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Thanks for responding The power supply is a Boss PSA-230p, the same I use for other pedals, the adapter reverse the polarity.

9. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Capture.JPG

Sorry, the best I can do is MS Paint.....

Do you have a multimeter? The image on the left shows the + and - sides of the power supply vs the battery. So make sure that the continuity is like the picture on the right. The Reds should all be connected and the blacks should all be connected. Check this before plugging in your pedal

abracadunphy likes this.
  10. Jakeman

Jakeman Swamp Thing Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    I'd follow these guys' advice, but I have an adapter like that that came with my Truetone CS12 and I use it with my Black Russian with no problems.

11. leavetheconnoli

leavetheconnoli

May 21, 2017
    New York
    LOL Thought it said Black Russian Milf

12. I've never used an adaptor like the one you're asking about however, I'm using a Russian made Bass Balls pedal. The casing, look, etc. is the same as the Big Muff pedal you are using. I found this adaptor to be the best solution when adding it to my pedal board. It's a 3.5mm to 1/8" converter and you should be able to find them at your local music/electronics store or, they should be able to order one for you. An added bonus is the angle of the plug, fits pedals where the power input is on the side (like my old DOD FX82) like a charm without having to cut pieces out of your board or re-route the whole set-up. Hope this helps and good luck. converter.png

abracadunphy likes this.
  13. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    N. Oklahoma
    "Black Russian Muff" made me chuckle!

14. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Thanks.

15. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    My pedal works only with a battery, it still does not have the modification to use with a power adapter, I guess in the next few days I will try to make the mod. Thanks :thumbsup:

AcadianBassman likes this.
  16. When I bought mine new (back in about 97 or so) it had the option for the battery or an adapter. Best of luck with the mod, hope it works out for you :thumbsup: And Merry Whatever you might celebrate ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    abracadunphy likes this.
  17. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Thanks, same for you!

AcadianBassman likes this.
  18. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    do you have ANY soldering skills? You could just cut the battery snap and wire in a power plug.

19. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    Yes!

It's the idea I have, I asked here first just in case.

Thank you very much!

20. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    What worries me most is to damage the pedal reversing the polarity, although I have tried reversing the polarity with other pedals before and nothing bad happened.

21. JonnyAngle

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    you dont want to wire it backwards