Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Sabbath fans have GOT to hear this!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steve Lawson, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  2. wow. i asked myself two questions when i heard this

how much time would you have to have on your hands to do that?

and how much pot/acid/mushrooms/cocaine would you have to smoke/eat/inhale?

3. I read about this in the newspaper a few weeks ago.

aren't they also a religious group or something? I seem to recall reading that. :) and playing sabbath songs! :D

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Underlines the importance of "image" wouldn't you say???

Personally, I think Gregorian chant performed by Black Sabbath might chart higher ;)

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've had the Rondellus cd for a couple of months now. I found the website through www.cruel.com or something.

Anyway, I think it's brilliant. I've always been a big Sabbath fan, and I also love all types of music. Their guarantee is pretty amazing, too: Buy it, listen to it for a while, and if you don't like it, let them know, and they'll refund your money---without you having to send the cd back. For $12.95 including shipping from Estonia to the US, how could I not?

I figured even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't bother getting a refund, anyway. I want to encourage people to do things like a Black Sabbath tribute album as Gregorian Chant. :D

I got a nice letter (hand signed by the producer) thanking me for my purchase, and his contact number if I have any comments, or feedback. All in all, a classy operation.

I found it interesting the reason behind the way they chose some of the songs, too. They didn't do Paranoid, or Iron Man since every Sabbath tribute album has those tracks. I respect that. Also, while the producer isn't very religious, apparently the musicians are. So, the producer left off songs like NIB out of respect for them--he didn't want them to be uncomfortable singing about Satan--even if the subject matter is more out of the movies than the occult. I also tremendously respect the musicians for doing something this far out of the norm while none of them are really Sabbath fans. No drugs involved on the part of the producer, or the musicians. Just a love of Sabbath, and a love of making great music.

All in all, a very open minded, unique product. I had to support it. I picked it up on a lark (not a larch, for the Python fans ;) ), but I really dig it. It's great to read to, or relax with after a long day--not to mention the look on musician's faces when they realize that the females chanting over a single hand drum are actually singing "War Pigs" in Latin is priceless.

Steve--I bought your first cd a while back, and I have been remiss in buying your newest duets disc (something I plan to rectify very soon). My offer still stands of a place to crash if you ever make it to Atlanta. Heck, if you want to attend the Atlanta Bass Get Together, my spare Futon is yours.

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    That would be great, thanks - I'm not sure when I'm going to make it that far south. I'm planning on being at NAMM again in January, doing my usual jaunt round CA, then maybe heading over to NY area and seeing what's happening there... and maybe a show in Boise Idaho on the way!

But if something comes up that means I can come to Atlanta, you'll be the first to know! Sign up for my street team, and you'll know about it before anyone... LOL

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm kinda diggin' War Pigs!

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Steve, thanks so much for the heads up on this highly unusual Latin album of Black Sabbath covers. I can't wait to hear War Pigs. Actually, this gives me a great idea. What would Black Sabbath sound like done in Spanish with a salsa beat? Actually maybe the Latin version with medieval instruments would be better.

Also, I have been a fan of Alex Skolnik since I saw an earlier band of his (Testament) open for Iron Maiden clear back in 1996. He just blew me away.

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just discovered that I could hear samples of the music at CDBaby. War Pigs was beautiful. It is like Gregorian chant in a way. Of course our big U.S. purveyor of CDs doesn't have anything by Rondellus.

13. Wow. You could play this at a Catholic mass, and I bet no one could tell the difference. Very intersting stuff.

14. http://cdbaby.com/cd/bozoallegro

Something else I stumbled across on cdbaby.com. This one's for the Beatles fans.

God, cdbaby.com is fun. I could get lost on this site.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Apparently, monkee, you never had to perform that medieval mind-rot! ;) After three years of it, I thought about torching the convent where my choir teacher lived. It's why monks are put away in abbeys!

16. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ... I quite often do! It's is a great site that really supports the artists, gives tonnes of ideas for promoting your CDs, gigs, merch etc. and is really well organised on the CD sales side.

It's attracted some big names to sell their stuff there - The Yellowjackets, Thomas Dolby, Grant Lee Phillips, Eels and a few others have an album or two there, and TONNES of bassists - Adam Nitti, Michael Dimin, me, a few albums featuring Michael Manring, Joseph Patrick Moore, Matt Garrison - do a search on their 'featuring bass' search string - there's tonnes of great stuff.

The search functions are really comprehensive across the board.

I'm selling quite a few CDs through the site, and mainly to people who haven't heard my stuff elsewhere (who tend to buy through www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk )

If you're band have got a CD out, your really ought to get it listed there...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    mom: "is that gregorian chant?"

me: "it's black sabbath..."

mom: "black sabbath does THAT?!"

:D

18. Brendan