Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Sabbath: Paranoid

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by seanm, Jun 22, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am learning Paranoid and it is just not quite right. If I play the E on the A string, 7th fret, it dosen't sound quite right. If I play it on the E string, 12th fret, it is better, but it is hard playing that high. The D string, 2nd fret is right out.

So a couple of questions:

1. Anybody know if it is in a drop tuning? That would explain the 12th fret sounding better.

2. Anybody know where the E is played? Maybe from a video?

3. Where do you tend to play the E?

4. Any other suggestions?

2. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    well black sabbath always tune down a half step, im 95% certain he plays on the a string

3. If you don't/won't tune down half, play A# (6th fret A String) and rock away!

4. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, I found the answer to tuning down. In an interview at Vintage Guitar magazine (TI = Tony Iommi):

So it is not tuned down, but they play it tuned down live.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    It's not tuned down, and the Bass "E" is played on the 7th fret.

6. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah, I think I am worrying about it too much. It is probably just that the sound is thinner through the mixer and headphones, even with a SansAmp. It will probably sound better through a real amp.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I am just going to stick with the 7th fret and not worry about it :bassist:

7. hehe, I saw them live in Vienna on Monday, 20th!
    in the original old line-up! It was great... and Geezer sounded fantastic! :bassist:

8. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Tony I. plays it at the twelth fret on the E.