Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Sabbath Tab Book Wrong?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Marcap, Jan 9, 2003.

1. I bought the tab book for Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock'N'Roll and it seems that some of the songs are just blatantly wrong. The two in question so far are Children of the Grave and Snowblind. When i play them to the cd it just sounds horribly off. Does anyone have the book and find the same problem. My only thought is that maybe Geezer tunes his bass down for the song and the book doesnt mention that. Let me know if you can.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    IME i haven't come across a single tab that was done correctly. Doesn't anyone proof read those things before they are published ???:rolleyes:

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive found instances where the published tabs were a little wrong, but a whole book?!

Maybe you are not playing with the right beats?

Peace
    Nick

4. I havent found that all of the tabs were wrong...just some. As for playing the wrong beats...I think not. Especially with Children of the Grave, Its simple, just swing 8ths of a single not then switch to the next for most of it. Even at the start of the song where you now youre not reading the wrong part of the tab it just doesnt sound right.
    Im going to try and contact the publisher...Ill let everyone know if I get anywhere so you can do the same.

5. Bodom

Bodom

Aug 31, 2002
    Check if the first note is an E thene at least that is correct :p

6. Yeah...the first tabbed note of Children of the Grave is definitley a D. But I agree, an E sounds right. <explatives>.

7. Check the top of the first page of the song. Is there any notation that tuning = ?

BTW, I have never played Children of the grave in anything but C#.

Main riff should be C#, E, A, B back to C#

8. Bodom

Bodom

Aug 31, 2002
    Sabbath played in standar didnt they?

9. Nope theres no tuning info at the top of the page. Other books have that such as some Hendrix songs and Nirvana.
    However I do find that if I play the tab with all of their notes shifted down 1 fret...it works remakably well.

10. As I stated before, Children of the grave and Snowblind seem to be in C#.

I think some of the problem with Sabbath Tabs is that they really did tune to 440, but while recording vocals, they played with the pitch to make things easier for Ozzy's vox.

Some songs are going to be up or down a 1/2 step, but others are even somewhere in between.

11. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    well you see, if you can read proper music not tabs it won't really be much of a problem will it?
    but um... yeah children of the grave is detuned a bit. cant remember completley. i think its drop d

What i would say to this is that go on to music room.com and search for "black sabbath riff by riff"
    its got bout 40 song and only fifteen notes not bad and i think its good so buy it or else let iomi's big boots wa-hack you until you look asif you have had as much s**t as ozzy
    --------------------peace-----------------------

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    15!

There are only 12 semitomes (Notes) in modern western world music.

Peace
    Nick