Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Sabbath Test Pressing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Jan 13, 2006.

1. So ive become a bit of a vinyl junkie. I dont have a huge collection, yet. A few days ago a mysterius record appeared. The label was all white. There were no indications of there ever being a label. So i just set it aside. When I sort through my records, I always come back to it. So I decided to put it on to see what was on it. Lo and beahold it was black sabbath. So i should it to a friend of mine. He claims there is a very good chance that its a test pressing. What do you guys think? Im not a huge sabbath fan so I may need some help.
    Thanks,
    joe

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Its hard to say, there's alot of Sabbath vinyl out there.

Any idea what song(s) are on it? Is it a 12" LP or 7" single? Is there any information on the record such as date, country, etc? Any inscription in the vinyl near the label? Does it just have a blank white label?
    Do a quick search on google for rare Black Sabbath vinyl and alot of stuff comes up. Maybe you can find a similar record to get a general idea what its worth. Then I'd bring it to a reputable shop that sells rare vinyl and get their opinion on it.

3. Its a 12" LP. The numbers are PC3 A-2. These are hand inscribed. There seems to be line with the A something like this |A but together. Are far as song go it has war pigs and iron man.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Could be a test pressing...I have 3 or 4 test pressings for some of my favorite bands. They can be worth more especially if you have any of the paperwork with them. The real cash is is the acetates.

6. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    doubtful. more than likely a bootleg. i have a ton of WHO boots that only have a white lable on them. most boots from the 7o's only had white labels.

7. That makes alot of sense. Any way of knowing for sure?

8. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I had some Zeppelin bootlegs also, but they were very poor quality with few exceptions. How's the sound quality?
    They usually had plain white jackets w/ the cover taped to them. I assume you don't have that.

9. quality isnt all that good. Sounds like a studio copy minus the mastering.

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    it is probably a copy of a copy of a copy.........all the test pressings i have of the satellites have a label that has "elektra records" and a handwritten description of album and or song on it. i'mm 100% sure you have a boot.