Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 15, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm constanly rediscovering this band...One of the bands that changed my life, and perception of music. I got turned on to them when I was 14, and they have been in my top 5 for 13 years. I saw a cool documentary on them last night called "Inside Black Sabbath." It was interesting to hear from Tony Iommi first hand about alot of the writing, recording, and live performances during their early years. Some excellent vintage live footage was featured too. They also went into the Ronnie James Dio years too which was cool. I personally like the Ozzy years better, but Dio definitely transformed that band. It's like two different bands IMO.

My favorite album changed alot over the years, it was "Master of Reality" for a long time. But I think I like "Paranoid" the best. My favorit songs are "A National Acrobat", "Hand of Doom", & "symptom of the Universe"
    Sabbath fans...what are your thoughts, favorite albums/songs, opinions on Geezer's bass work, Dio, etc..??

Also I have some cool videos, and live recordings if anyone wants to trade. :bassist:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hearing War Pigs and Children of the Grave in 1979 is the push I needed to start playing bass (I had already wanted to play since the mid 70s... but my folks thought I was too young).

Vol. 4 is my favorite whole album.... but my favorite song is "Country Girl" from Mob Rules.... I wish they stayed together longer with Dio, IMO his voice really fit well with the band.

3. Black Sabbath kicks ass plain and simple. They started heavy metal with their sound and lyrical content, and are still influencing bands 35 odd yrs after their first lp came out. Their first 9 with Ozzy and 2 with Dio is what Black Sabbath is too me...loud, in your face metal! After that, they lost me. I have heard rumours that Geezer and Iommi used to beat up Ozzy...does anybody know the story (ies) behind these? I think I have to crank Vol 4 and wake up the neighbours now.

4. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

The Dio era was dark and disturbing. He sounded way to pop to be singing for them. Dio with his own band owns, but man, him joining sabbath is the equivilent of having Brittney Spears be the singer for the Crannberries.

I recently went into a Sabbath hiatus (even though they are my number 1 band) and then I listened to Past Lives all the way through one night. Even though the quality is sub-par at best they knew how to put on a show!

I highly reccomend seeing them at Ozzfest this year.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I saw them in '01...on ozzfest. It was awesome, their first time back since reunion. Despite their old age, and years of drug induced madness...They rocked it.

I saw them last year too...It was kinda sad. Ozzy sang the lyrics "satan laughing spreads his wings" in War pigs 2 measures too soon...and ended up singing them again when the break came....lol.:rollno:

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I really like Sabbath, and Geezer is one of my bass playing influences. My favourite album would have to be Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, but my favourite song is 'Children of the Grave'. Also, I like Ozzy better, but Heaven & Hell with Dio was a really good album, IMO.

Graeme

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I've heard him sing pure drug induced jibberish... Gotta love Ozzy :bassist:

Anyone else still have a copy of "Born again"? Ian + Sabbath was an interesting twist too. I just put it on :smug: Some of Geezer's most driving lines. I use to cover 'Trashed', 'Disturbing the Priest' & 'Keep it Warm' in an old band of mine. We had a Screamer singing that did Gillan well.

Actually, I'll gonna have to say my favorite disc from Black Sabbath is "Black Box" :bassist:

8. I was lucky enough to see them play a few years back at the London Astoria, which for those of you who don't know is a converted cinema i.e. small. Bear in mind they were playing arenas at this time. To be right at the front, a few feet from Geezer, was an education to say the least.
    Best gig ever. :bassist:

Sabotage got to be me fave... followed by the debut and MOR

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Masters of Reality are THE greatest classic metal albums.

About Tony and Geezer beating up Ozzy... that was in high school, that was what probably added a lot of tension to their band. "Hey, lets have that kid we use to beat up all the time be our singer!"

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    been listening to my Sabbath collection all day....

Man, Bill Ward is my favorite drummer of all time! Kinda the best of Baker, Bonham & Moon rolled into one IMHO. I think the decades of listening to him is where I got my groove from.

(Sweetleaf is playing at the moment)

11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Big Sabbath fan. I think Geezer is an excellent bass player who really was a key element to their sound. Now the statement about Dio replacing Ozzy was like getting Britney Spears floors me. I have never heard anything "pop" come out of the mouth of RJD. "Heaven and Hell" is probably my fav Sabbath album. I love the Ozzy stuff too.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I love Black Sabbath. They just have a groove that kicks. :bassist: Geezer blew me away long before I even started to play bass. He is definately one of my bigger influences.

My favorite album is Black Sabbath and my favorite song is Black Sabbath. I love hearing Geezer in that song when they kick into the fast section.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Rainbow in the Dark perhaps?! :D That keyboard line...

There is a localish synth pop group called 20 Goto 10 that do a great cover of Rainbow in the Dark with a girl singer... it's so... weird.

14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Now that sounds funny as hell!!!!!!!!
    I cannot fathom a girl singing "When there's lightning.....". Dio has the biggest most powerful voice despite the fact that the girl in 20 Goto 10 is probably taller than he is!!! :smug:

15. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Compare Dio to Ozzy. Dio era sounds way more pop than the Ozzy era. More rock and roll and less metal.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    She's actually very tall...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The guys are average height. :)

17. Anyone else here think the bass line to 'Hard Road' sounds like Paul McCartney? I did.

Talk about how to drag out a song! :p

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    War Pigs...its all about War Pigs. Best Sabbath song ever. I remember being 14 and being the cool kid in my school for about 2 weeks because we played some battle of the bands talent show and did Iron Man, and unlike all the other bassists in bands who covered Iron Man (there were like 4 other bands in the show and we all did Iron man) I actually played the song with my fingers and did a soloy thing under the guitar solo!

Everyone though that I was some kind of bass god, like I said, for about 2 weeks :)

19. I prefer Dio sabbath. But I also prefer Dio Rainbow.
    I can't imagine if ozzy had stayed with Sabbath. We would've never heard Randy or Jake E Lee or Zakk.
    I didn't like Born Again when it came out, but I think it was because my hopes were so high. Eternal Idol is a great album, though.

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Somehow I doubt Randy and Zakk would have languished in a lifetime of obscurity without Ozzy. Jake on the other hand, well there was nothing he did that 100 million other 80s thrash guitarists didn't do, except play for Ozzy.