1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Sidemen in Nashville?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I need some help TB'ers. Can anyone name some Black sidemen in Nashville who started working there more than twenty years ago? I know of a few folks who started in the 1990s, but I want to know about earlier sidemen who either worked in studios or who went on the road with Nashville based, or other Country acts.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    call the local 257

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Willie Weeks was there in the late 70s, early 80s...

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys. I knew about Willie Weeks, and I will call the local union chapter.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    More than 20 years ago?
    ...Victor & Roy Wooten.
    Flecktones were formed, believe it or not, in 1988.
    Where has the time gone?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    damn, good point

7. the engine

the engine Guest

And Victor's drummer JD Blair was playing with national acts in the early 90's. So he may have been there before that. He's actually won "country drummer of the year" several times. Toured with Shaniah Twain (sp) quite a bit. REALLY nice guy, too....and FUNKY!

8. I thought he was there from late 80s to early 2000s.:confused:

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Somewhere I read it was about 1984?

I do recall seeing Weeks with The Doobie Brothers & then the Larsen-Feiten Band in the early, early '80s...IIRC. ;)

10. boomthump

boomthump

Feb 19, 2009
    Not to affend,but why does skin color matter?

11. Maybe hes looking for someone specific or just some early break through black artists. Its a valid question given the history of the US.