1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

black stain / dye

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by darkreich, May 17, 2011.

1. darkreich

darkreich

Jun 3, 2006
    i just purchased a warwick dark lord vampyre and so far , i love it ! the only thing is, i wish it was all black . this is where ( hopefully ) some fellow TB'ers can help . what do i need to do to get it all black ? i believe the fingerboard is wenge , the neck and back of the bass is ovangkol and the front of the body is french ash with the stock color nirvana black ( stain ?) . if this is a big job , how much would this job cost to be done ? thanx in advanced !!

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you do not have experience with finishing, you should seriously consider having it done professionally. If it were a cheapo then I'd say go for it, but even small imperfections will tank the resale value.

I'm not familiar with that bass so I can't say what needs to be done to match the top. In any case whatever finish is on the back will likely need to be stripped in order for any dye to penetrate or topcoat to adhere.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Dyeing the rest of it black is doable, but I agree that it's a professional job on a pricey unit like that.

My sage advice? Leave it be for a few months. If you're still dead set on dyeing it after getting used to it, then by all means have at it, but use a pro...