Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Stain For Rosewood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kelly Lee, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I was originally going to replace my Rosewood fretboard with Ebony. After weighing the cost, hassle, and the good condition of my existing fretboard, I decided not to change it. However, I would still like a black fretboard. Does the stuff StewMac sells work good? What about fretboard prep? Any other tips, advice or other input to help me out? Thanks.

2. I've done my Fender fretless Jazz with the Fiebings and it worked great! You literally couldn't tell the stained rosewood from a slightly porous ebony. This is what Gibson did with a lot of their production pieces - they called it "ebonizing"

Be careful though. When they say this stuff is black, they mean it and it will stay on ANYTHING!! Wear gloves, put down papers, send the kids to the neighbors, take precautions.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Thanks Hambone. Does it bleed off onto your fingers when playing that bass? Thanks again.

4. Oh no, once one the wood, soaked in and dry, it's as permanent as ugly. This is an oil dye used for leather.

5. mss

mss

Sep 11, 2004
    Would this stuff also be good for staining a walnut body black? I have a recently acquired bass with an natural oil finish, and I'd like to make it a black oil finish...also, would anything other than sanding be neccesary for prep?

6. Hmm, an oil finish isn't just on top. It is down in the wood also. That might be a problem. I just don't know. The dye is an oil dye so that's a point in favor. Fortunately a bottle isn't expensive so you could give it a try in an inconsipicuous place. If it doesn't work you can spruce up your riding boots and that whip you keep under the bed :eek: