Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Star tune on Red Hot + Indigo compilation

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by leanne, Jun 10, 2003.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I heard a song (Money Jungle) on the Red Hot + Indigo Ellington tribute compilation. It is by Black Star, and features Ron Carter on bass and John Patton on organ (plus some other dudes). And I guess Black Star is Mos Def? Has anyone heard this?

It is hip hop over jazz, with a killer groove. The vocals go back and forth between melodic singing and rapping. I really, really like it. It is similar to what The Roots have going on, but jazzy, and with more singing (as opposed to just rapping). And the singing parts remind me a bit of Sublime.

I'm not a hip hop fan, but this really appeals to me because of the singing and the organ and the sweeeet groove. I'd really like to hear more stuff like this, but I don't know where to look. In fact, I could really dig playing stuff like this, if I knew anything about hip hop (which I don't).

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    How bout that upcoming collabo w/ Perrywinkle, Inc. and The Magenta Twins? Hot stuff indeed.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Black Star is Mos Def and Talib Kweli.

Check Mos Def's solo album, Black on Both Sides, if you haven't already. There is a bit of singing and Mos Def plays bass on several tracks. Also, Kweli has two very good albums out (Quality and Reflection Eternal), and of course, the Black Star album is excellent.

4. Are you aksing where to start to get into hip-hop? If you are, start here:
    Mos Def- Black on Both Sides
    The Roots- The Roots Come Alive
    Jurassic 5- Quality Control
    Blackalicious- Blazing Arrow
    Black Star- Black Star
    Dialted Peoples- Expansion Team
    Deltron 3030- Deltron 3030

5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Good stuff. I would add some Fugees. But that's me.

[social commentary deleted]

Mos Def is a great groove bassist (and drummer, and keyboardist, and probably a lot of other thngs).