Black string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by realitycheck, Sep 13, 2005.

1. realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Hey guys I searched but didnt really find any type of answer to what I was looking for. I was looking at the gear review section a couple days ago, and I saw that they make strings that are black. I would love to have some of these since the accents on my guitar are black. Which black strings have the best sound, feel, tone, longevity, etc??
    Thanks for your help
  2. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    DR's............they also come in red and peacock blue.
  3. realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    So the DR's are the best? I have one other question what is the difference in sizes of strings?
  4. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Different size strings add more tension and are well... bigger so make the bass feel and play little different within reason it's really all personal prefrence if you like light strings or really thick strings.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have used both DR's and Black Diamonds and like them both.

The DR's have a tradional nickel roudwound tone IMO. The coating is fairly durable even when using a pick.

The Black Diamonds, which are my favorites, have a much darker tone to them. They have a really good feel to them (better than the DR's) and the coating last real good if you don't use a pick. If you do use a pick the coating will show signs of wear within a couple of days but not real bad.

Remember, this is all IMO! :)
  6. realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    So the DR finish lasts longer. The tone is not as good as the black diamonds though?
  7. There's nylon tape wound strings that are black too. La Bella makes the ones I use on my acoustic. I love 'em on an acoustic.
  8. I have two of my basses strung with the La Bella nylon tape wound...a semi-acoustic and a fretless....the acoustic uses a piezo pup and the fretless uses a magnetic humbucker...they sound great on both instruments. If you're looking for growl, however, these are not the strings.

I've used the DR's before, the coating is quite durable and they sound pretty nice (comparable I think to D'addario nickels minus a little bit of growl). I'm not all that crazy about how they feel on my fingers, however...I can't explain it really...a bit more "itchy" than a normal roundwound...must have something to do finish on them.
  9. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Rotosounds makes a black string I saw them today. It was a yellow package.
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The DR's are actually really sweet. I currently have a set on my Virgin 4 and love them. I think my harmonics have more "air" to them with the DR's if that helps.

I like the BD's better overall because of the dark tonal qualities they have. The harmonics are excellent on them as well. They have more of a "fat & full" sound. They just work really well in any type of rock/metal setting for me.

I plan on keeping the DR's on the Virgin and putting the BD's back on my Innovator so I have both at my disposal. I actually really like both of them that much. :D
  11. realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Well im not a big fan of "airy" sound if by airy you mean what I think you do. I really like more of a full sound, I think once the strings I just put on my yammieha, get old I might try some of those black diamonds. All the accents on the bass are black, the tuners "or w/e the actual name is", the pickups, the bridge, the knobs, the head. I think it would look really cool.
  12. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    DR strings are steel roundwounds, not nickel. The coated strings are just Hi-Beams with coating on them.

13. Yeah, Tru-Bass 88s. I've bought some for my incoming acoustic.