Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black strings or normal strings, rounds or flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Hi guys, i just got a fretless hohner, its in need of some new strings. Its a 4-string Fender PJ-copy with an ebonol fingerboard.

Since it is black, with black pickguard and black fingerboard and black headstock ( :hyper: i love that!), i would definitely like some black strings on it. I know DR makes black coated strings, they are roundwounds. Then i heard there are strings with black tape around it (taperwounds?).

Then theres the question about flatwound or roundwound strings. I heard flats definitely add up to the "mwah" factor of a fretless bass. Is that true, what should i think about that?

I usually play metal with it, i like a big fat sound, but not a dull dead sound. Big fat, lows punching through a mix.

What kind of strings should i get? Will the roundwound DR's destroy my fretboard, would flatwounds sound better, what about the taperwound story? I am a bit lost here

:bawl:

options.... options...

2. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    LaBella tapewounds. They are black. Roundwounds wrapped in tape. They are not just thump, like some flatwounds, but won't eat up your fretboard like roundwounds will.