Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

black stripe on tip of guitar/patch cables

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Aug 23, 2005.

1. I noticed that on the tip of certain patch cables or guitar cables there is sometimes a black stripe (and sometimes a white stripe or no stripe at all) on the male end. What exactly is this? Does this have something to do with grounding and/or hum? Should it have the black stripe in my effects chain and instrument cable?
    thanks,
    -eric
    I know this is a wicked newbie question, but please someone help me out here with this.

2. there should always be that strip, its because it seperates the 2 parts of the connector, one part is live one is not

and on stereo jacks there is 2 strips, because there are 2 live bits and one thats not, if you get what i mean

3. So every cord should have the black stripe? I'm still a little confused. What happens if you use it and theres no black stripe?
    Why would they make a cord without the black stipe, if its a good thing to have one? I've seen them without the black stripe, but with a white indent instead, almost like the black stipe is missing, but theres room for one.
    thanks,
    -eric

4. the white indent is just the same

all it is is a plastic strip that seperates the 2 different connectors, when you stick a jack in, it makes 2 connections, one on the shaft, one on the tip