Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Tapewounds or flats on a Modulus Q4?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slam, May 10, 2004.

1. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Anybody ever tried that combination? I like tapewound strings and I think it would look cool on the black fretboard. I was wondering if the strings would fit on a 35" scale.

Also I saw several people posting about putting TI flats on a Modulus. Has anyone tried LaBella flats or any other brand of flats on a Modulus. Again I was wondering about potential scale length problems.

2. I use Rotosound Tru Bass strings on my Q5. They are wrapped in black nylon. The fit fine and the low b is very tight. They mellow out the graphite neck a little bit.

3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I use d'addario chromes flats on my Modulus VJ4 w/ barts and love the tone. I have had the same set on for almost 2 years. Not sure about the tape wounds.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I find the flatwound strings really mellow out the sound of the graphite neck.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have put TI Jazz Flats on my Mod Q5 on two different occasions and D'Addario Chromes on another. I love the way they sound (especially the TIs) In fact it is my favorite tone on that bass - favorite when I play alone that is. But in the band mix I always wind up going back to roundwounds. The flats just don't cut through the mix as well. There is one exception. If I were to play a Jazz trio gig on electric I would use flats in a heartbeat. But I never play electric in a Jazz trio (because I'm an upright guy too) so my Q5 seems destined for rounds unless I quit playing in bands.