1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black Tapewounds or flats on a Modulus Q4?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slam, May 10, 2004.

1. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Anybody ever tried that combination? I like tapewound strings and I think it would look cool on the black fretboard. I was wondering if the strings would fit on a 35" scale.

Also I saw several people posting about putting TI flats on a Modulus. Has anyone tried LaBella flats or any other brand of flats on a Modulus. Again I was wondering about potential scale length problems.

2. I use Rotosound Tru Bass strings on my Q5. They are wrapped in black nylon. The fit fine and the low b is very tight. They mellow out the graphite neck a little bit.

3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I use d'addario chromes flats on my Modulus VJ4 w/ barts and love the tone. I have had the same set on for almost 2 years. Not sure about the tape wounds.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I find the flatwound strings really mellow out the sound of the graphite neck.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have put TI Jazz Flats on my Mod Q5 on two different occasions and D'Addario Chromes on another. I love the way they sound (especially the TIs) In fact it is my favorite tone on that bass - favorite when I play alone that is. But in the band mix I always wind up going back to roundwounds. The flats just don't cut through the mix as well. There is one exception. If I were to play a Jazz trio gig on electric I would use flats in a heartbeat. But I never play electric in a Jazz trio (because I'm an upright guy too) so my Q5 seems destined for rounds unless I quit playing in bands.