Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black thing in thumb - ouch!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by john keates, Jan 5, 2005.

1. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    There is this thing that happens to me from time to time. I havn't had it for ages but now it is back.

The hard skin on my slapping thumb gets a little black dod inside it. It isn't dirt (I don't think) because it is way inside there.

When this happens, it can be painfull to play.

Last time it happened I managed to dig it out but that made a big hole in my thumb. This time it is further in and I don't want to risk it.

Anyone else get this?

2. spyingcracker

spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    You may have broken a blood vessel down there from slapping (musta been hard) or something else putting a lot of pressure on a small area on your thumb. It's like a little scab under the skin. I had it happen to me on one of my fretting hand finger pads, but eventually it went away. If this is the case, try to play more lightly, or just wait for it to go away before slapping again.

3. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Blood blister holmes.

4. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I don't like the sound of the 'not playing' idea. Maybe I will ease up on the heavy slapping.... or I might just suffer for my art.

5. Been there done that, just don't slap so hard.
    Maybe changin technique? I used to do the whole Flea-wrist perpendicular to strings, but now i use the more popular wrist more parallel to strings technique and I haven't gotten blood blisters since. But perhaps its just the force of the slap. Tricky suckers, because you get the blister under the callus...
    Anywho, just ease up on the speed/force slap stuff and all should be well once again.

Glenn

6. Seraph

Seraph

Jan 3, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    hum about this, im still very new to the bass, been playing for like 2 months now and im making good progress. i just wanted to know if anyone could explain to me in detail the technique for slapping, i've tried imitating other people but thats not quite working :p

7. Wow....slappin hard enough to bleed.....Ouch.

8. How ironic, I hardly play any UB walking lines over the break, I get new, louder, but tougher strings, and when I start walking for a big band again I get blood blisters on my two walking fingers under the perminent callouses about a cm in diameter. Now, I've had my thumb hurt from slapping, and can't imagine a blood blister from doing so, but blood blisters on your walking fingers for UB is not fun.

9. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I would love to have fingers strong enough for UB but would hate to have blood blisters from it.

I have had the blood blister under callouse thing recently - it didn't hurt to much for me because I have no feeling in those fingers.

Incidently, has anyone found that their callouses reduce perfoemance when they are being... errr... sensitive with a lady?

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Incidently, has anyone found that their callouses reduce perfoemance when they are being... errr... sensitive with a lady?[/QUOTE]

Improvise my bother!

Is the area calloused over the black thingy?

11. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Yeah, the black thing on my thumb has a callouse on it that looks about 2mm thick.

12. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    some warts appear as a small, caloused black dot (e.g. a plantars wart on your foot). May be a wart.

13. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Oh no! not a wart!.... warts can spread to other people upon contact.... don't tell anyone.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My guess is that's it's some kind of bruise of broken blood vessel. I have seen the little black dot too on my fingers, when I play real hard my fingers get sore. Of course I keep playing with sore finger tips so I have seen this on my finger before but it goes away after a while.

15. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003

16. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Tell yeah this much! About 7 years ago me and my band were playing a 20 gig thing and had several shows a week! I kept on pounding away through the entire thing and i will tell ya that no matter how thick those fingers are the skin will come off! I had blood blisters and nasty water filled blisters. By the last show i was bleeding all over my bass! Took like a hour the next day to clean it all off! I had to stop playing for like 2 weeks to get better. :crying: