1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

black thunderbird serial number?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonahjaccal, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jonahjaccal

jonahjaccal

Oct 3, 2009
    Can anyone tell me if the serial number on a black thunderbird should be easily visible? Am looking to buy one but the seller says that the number is stamped on the headstock before painting making it hard to see it

2. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    That # should be quite visable even tho the numbers can fill in a little, it may be difficult for the seller to photograph, it should be easily read.

3. Hi.

^+1

I haven't owned a black Thunderbird, but on the black late 90's Explorer and on the black early 70's LP Custom I have had, the serial number is easily readable, but like TBird 1958 said, hard to photograph.

I have taken pics of the serial numbers for various reasons and the "stamped onto the wood" variety is sometimes really hard to do.

If it's a refin, which is more than likely on a mahogany necked Gibson, that may have filled the numbers un-readable.

What is the mfg year supposed to be?

Regards
    Sam

4. jonahjaccal

jonahjaccal

Oct 3, 2009
    Hey, cheers for helping. Its an '08 model, only bought last Dec and apparenty never giggeg and looks mint..but no visible serial number...my cash stays in my pocket!!

5. Hi.

No problem, and welcome to TalkBass.

I haven't looked at any new Gibsons so I can't really tell how the serial number looks like.

It's hard to see that there would be a fake as recent as that though. If the price is right, might be worth checking out anyway.

Regards
    Sam

6. jonahjaccal

jonahjaccal

Oct 3, 2009
    The price is good enough to make it very tempting...thats my dilema. thanx