1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black TRC for rick 4003, where can i get one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlecRob, Jul 2, 2012.

1. AlecRob

AlecRob

Mar 7, 2011
    Does rickenbacker still make these truss rod covers? Or is the only way to obtain one by finding one on ebay or something? I have a MG 4003 that is just begging for a tort PG and a black TRC!

2. Personally, I can't stand tort PG's on Rickenbackers, but it's your bass.

However, I'm pretty sure you can get a new TRC by sending in your old one and requesting a black one. The 4004 series have black TRC's, so they do make them.

3. But the 4004 is discontinued, and you only can get an identical TRC from RIC if you bring in at least 50% of your old TRC. And 100$... So if you send in a white TRC, you get a white TRC back, no exceptions (except if you're called Tom Petty, than everything seems possible, even a wider neck for your 12-string 330/12, which isn't available to us, the plebs)...

4. I don't think so

5. Um, no.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    They still make black TRCs and they still make 4004 basses.

7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Yes. Yes they do.
    And yes, you can trade a white trc for a black one, and vice-versa.

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have one from a 4004 mod I did a while back. If Ric is out of stock, PM me.

Notice for anyone looking for a Ric TRC....if you go to eBay, buyer beware. Many are fakes. There is a seller whose name begins with a popular guitar manufacturers name, and many of his are believed to be knock-offs. And knock-offs are worthless, aside from the legal aspects. For anyone wanting further details, you could visit the Rick Resource Forums and do some searches.

9. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    To the OP,are you referring to a black Plexi type trc? Because those are vintage and no longer made. If you already have a white raised letter trc,its a pretty simple job to paint the whole trc,then apply whatever color you want to the raised letters. I did that with my 4004 trc. It was black plastic with the raised gold metallic letters,i painted it gold and used a black sharpie for the letters. I had a walnut 4002 that had an tortoise guard on it at one time,dunno what i was thinking at the time,i have to agree tortoise does not look so good on a Ric.
    Ps re the fake trc mentioned above,i have one on one of my basses,and i don't particularly mind. It came with the bass,and i am just not able to see the difference from a factory one,plus production of the gold plexi's seems to be suspended at the moment. I suppose if i wanted a new black plexi for my 74 4000,which has a couple of cracks in it, i would have to look to a copy maker.

10. AlecRob

AlecRob

Mar 7, 2011
    I was also considering putting on a black PG.. I cant really decide which i like better atm.

I emailed Rickenbacker about seeing if i can trade my white trc for a black one. no answer yet.

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've been wondering about this very subject myself. I've been G.A.S.ing for a Jetglo Rick 4003 for some time. But I've also wanted to swap the white pickguard and TRC for black ones. I think it just looks a lot sharper.

I actually saw this color combo at a Philly area guitar show from Pick of the Ricks. That was a year or two ago, though. I'm not sure if Rickenbacker is still doing the exchanges for the trussrod covers, but I'm certainly hoping they will if you ask.

12. If there is a customer service phone number, I'd advise calling rather than e-mailing. I'm pretty sure it's still quite possible to exchange a white TRC for a black one.

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    They are on there traditional Summer break, at the moment.

14. AlecRob

AlecRob

Mar 7, 2011
    Yeah, I got an auto-reply email saying that they're on break. Does anybody know when the break ends?

15. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    The automated e-mail that I got said July 9.

16. AlecRob

AlecRob

Mar 7, 2011
    Oh.. I guess I somehow didnt notice that it said that on the email!