Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Tribal graphics on a pearl white bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 4, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    After my amp situation is dealt with,I plan on saving for a Ibanez EDB600 pearl white bass.I was thinking of going to a graphics shop and having Black tribal stick made or bought to put on the front of the white body.Can this be done?And If I do get the Pearl white finish, is their anything I should take extra caution of?Like the finish go yellow over time?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What was that about wanting to break stereotypes, again?

3. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Oh come on.You don't see that everyday.Every other guy has a fender and a ampeg classic 810.If I'm wrong,and there ARE a whole bunch of bassist's out there who've got black tribal on a white finish,then please prove me wrong.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do you belong to a tribe?

If not, do you know which tribe your graphics will be coming from?

Which part of the world does the tribe habitat?

What do the designs symbolize in the tribe's culture?

Is the design and old, one (a classic) or a modern take on an old design, like much moden native American and tribal art?

Is the piece strictly that tribe, or does it belong to a greater range of indigenous peoples? (I.E. the Raven to most Pacific NW and Alaskan natives)

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ahem, I have a Ric and a 410..

6. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    i have to agree with brendan on the tribal thing. it makes me think of sonambulistic frat kids funneling beers at a keg party. my goal with my music is to grab people's attention with my playing, not what graphic is on what i'm playing.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Very true, and in an ideal world that's all that it would take. But on the other hand the graphic, like music, is simply another way of expressing yourself.

Also playing devil's advocate, there are enough people here talking about the quilt on their Lakland/spalt on their Sadowsky/insert exotic wood and company here. It takes different strokes for different folks. ;)

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Guys, give hima break :) Its something he likes and thats all that matters. I personally can't stand most of the vintage style finishes like sunburst and such. Ofcourse, thats just me :D
    To answer your question, I would draw or have some design the tribal graphic out on paper. Make sure its the actual size for your needs. Then take it to a good graphics shop and they can make a vinyl type graphic that you could install yourself or have them airbrush it. The drawback to the viynl is the thickness of it. Unfortunately, you might get yellowing of the paint that would be noticeable if you later decided to remove the graphic. Just figure out what you are willing to live with and go for it. Good luck!

9. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i also think the tribal idea is very lame. if i saw you playing at a show i'm sure my freinds and i would giggle like little girls at your lameness.

that being said, who cares what i think, if you like it turn your bass into tribal city. :)

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    A lot of you certainly are acting a bit "holier than thou," aren't ya?

Sheesh--his post wasn't, "Hey, I need your validation of my idea before I go through with this."

It was simply to ask whether, or not, the stickers would present a problem in the future, or if the Pearl White finish would exhibit problems particular to the finish.

Sometimes, stickers are fun, folks. Lighten up.

The finish should be fine. The finish is probably not going to yellow over time. I have started to really dig white basses. In fact, I've got white fretless Bongo on the way. :D The Bongo--another bass idea that people mock without realizing it's one of the more remarkable instruments available today, but I digress.

If you want a cool pinstriping/tribal design on your bass, I'd take it to a car customizing shop if you have one in your area. They do that sort of stuff all the time, and would probably come up with something pretty cool that will work well with the shape of the bass. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck, and be sure to take some before and after pics. Ingore the naysayers.

11. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Metalbass, I have seen tribal graphics but, I believe, always white or silver on a black bass. I think the white bass will be different and mostly unique. As for what people think of tribal graphics - who cares? If years later don't like it, you refinish the bass (I think - I'm not sure how those luthite bodies are handled).

As for yellowing, I have not heard of this being a problem with the ergodyne models but don't have any personal experience in the matter. Good luck!

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It sounds alright to me! Might actually be pretty cool. Schecter made something similar a while back. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

13. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i'm sorry for judging......maybe i'm the lame one and people are giggleing et me :crying:

14. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I'll see what I can do.Make up my own?That's actually not a bad idea.I dig tribal and it doesnt matter what other people think of it,I like it.I'm going to get tribal tattoos someday.for the last post,I can respect a man who has the ball's to apoligize.Another thing,wood is wood until it's painted ON.Luthite is a oozy matierial before it's hardened and dried,it's got the color IN it.So I dont know...

15. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I think its a great idea man, for the bst look I say get the bass striped down to the top coat of white and get it airbrushed and resealed. Thats my personal take.

And now the real reason I responed...... I am getting sick and tired of people in this place badgering someone for not liking their idea. Brendan, that little post where you tried to put him down was flat out disrespectful. We all knew what he meant when he said tribal....its a big thing these days. But its beyond this thread..its like no matter what the thread is started about there is always 2 or 3 people that will jump on someone about their standpoint. Even if it is valid or not. I've been finding it hard to read post lately because of all the crap everyone pulls.

How about a new talkbass rule? If you dissagree with someone, be civil or keep it to yourself. Wait.....isnt that already a rule?