1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black velvet sung by a man

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Deacon_Blues, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Hi,

I'm thinking of adding Black Velvet by Alannah Myles to our setlist, and I intend to sing it. I never really gave the lyrics much thought, always just thought they were pretty strange and I never really "got" what they was about until I read them through. (Being a non-native English speaker, I don't automatically listen to what the lyrics are about). I discovered they were about Elvis Presley.

Would it be strange to hear a man singing this song? I can sing it pretty well nowadays, at least if transposed down slightly (a half step to Dm, I don't want to tune down the bass more than that).

Here's the lyrics:

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    How would you describe your voice?

Brian Wilson style - no
    Eric Clapton - no
    Tom Waits - yes

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It depends on the mode a bit. Out of those ones, I guess Tom Waits is the closest but I haven't listened too much to him to tell how close my voice is to his. I've been told I sound a bit like Steve Lukather (, in the original key.

I was thinking more of the lyrics though. I can sing this song in question with a powerful voice so the voice is not a problem I believe.

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

it's just a song about elvis.

intro it with "this is a song about elvis" and no one should think it weird after that.

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

6. I would change the "he's" to "she's". Unless ...well....you know......unless.....

7. +1 to this...

No! Don't do this! It's a song about how Elvis affects girls... :ninja:

Rock On! Russ

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I think it's fine with no changes, especially if your audience is also listening more for the music than for the specific meaning of the words.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Well that was kind of the point of this thread. If you do that, the song is no longer about Elvis, and it would sound corny to change every "boy" to "girl", every "he" to "she" and so on. I think if I do this song, it would be with the original lyrics. They are however quite subtle and if you don't listen too carefully to the lyrics you might think it is more of a mother's love to a child ("little boy's smile", "baby on her shoulder") than how Elvis affects girls (as CincyBassMan also commented).

I think I will go for Jim's advice and introduce it with "here's a song about Elvis..."

Or wait, now I know: I should change the whole song to be about Joss Stone instead. :D

Just kidding, but there's some similarities between them: Son of a Preacherman, performed live by Joss Stone. She sure can move and sing in a very sexy way. Btw, what word does she say on 1:49 in this video? It sounds like "taste" instead of "teach" :ninja::eek::smug::D:bag:

10. She says teach, it's just the way she's enunciates. :D

Russ

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's been done by a male. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Oh, cool. :) And yes, that would be nice of you. :)

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    It would be really cool if you could sing it like Barry White!

14. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    LOL! :) No, my voice isn't even close to his...

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm having a hard time locating it but I recall it being more of an American Country Music version of it.

16. Actually, excuse my ignorance, but I did not know this was song about Elvis. Seriously. That's why I made my comment. Thought it was a girl singing about how a guy effected her. I just re-read the lyrics. LOL pretty obvious now. Sorry. Carry on. :bag:

17. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    That's OK. I'll do my own version anyway. :)

No problem.. :)

18. I didn't know it was about Elvis, so I guess for me it doesn't matter who sings it, man or woman, since it just sets a mood. Does it bother anyone else that that it seems like the writer thinks that a Victrola had a volume control? Now that I read the lyrics, it looks like it's as much about Jimmie Rogers as about Elvis. Anyway, if you sound good singing it, sing it.

19. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    My band had done "She Wolf" by Megadeth. We have a female singer ;)

Just go for it. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, ditch it ;)

20. If you can sing it right, you should definitely do it. (Wish I could.) Elvis's music and performance can have a profound effect on anyone, that's what it's about.

Hell, it can even be a "wish I could do that" song.