Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black vs. African American

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Are there any people here who are offended by the word black, when used in place of African American?

I am by no means a racist, but the double standard bothers me. I've gotten threatened by a black kid I used to go to school with once because I used black in place of African American.

If saying black is politically incorrect, then why isn't saying white politically incorrect as well?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think saying white being ok and saying black = bad is along the same lines as why white people cant say N*99a and black people can and no one thinks twice about it. Do which people walk around calling each other cra@ckaz, no, so why can black people say it and no one cares. Because they are the "attacked ones" and we should all feel bad for them.:rolleyes:

3. I dont think I ever say African American, I usually just say black. I dont think black is a derogatory term at all and i've never seen anyone who thought otherwise, so why would i spend 7 times longer to say the same thing?

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ummm given that this is a worldwide forum, "African America" is not a broad enough term to describe (for want of a better term) "black people".

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, that's not quite what I'm getting at, I guess. The N****a thing is an entriely different thread.

My point is this- how is it right that one can't say black without fear of offending someone, while white can be said without any fear whatsoever?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I am not African-American. I was born in America. I have African ancestry, but I also have Cherokee blood in me as well. My mom is a Cherokee Indian. To me Hakeem Olajuwam and Dikembe Mutombo are "African-American". I've never been to Africa.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have dark skin (1/2 burmese), but probably not what you would classically call "black". But, I am not aware of black being an offensive term - at least not in its most common usage.

Certainly it can be used in an offensive manner, but I am not sure it should be considered generally offensive.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "oh yeah conan, africa is great, but you know it's amazing, conan, there are african americans everywhere" -GWB(talking lips on conan)

:p

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *goes to africa* "look at all the minorities" GWB

10. I'm pretty sure "Black" is the politically correct term nowadays.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :rolleyes: x 1000.
    This has all the well thought-out intelligence of your arguement on why it's okay to describe bad things as "gay."

Back on topic, I've never used the term African American when describing dark-skinned person for the reason that Mark Latimour mentioned-that there are blacks that don't originate from Africa.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm mexican-italian american. i went to a racist high school. i dated an anglo girl (i didn't have much of a choice!) - her parents hated my guts because i was not like them. they even said the church and the bible specifically states that we should not be dating (never could find that one) - having been through that crap, i use the term african-american - i think the term black is just as bad as "colored"

anyway, they used to call me a "brown" and that would piss me off, but i would sit back and laugh - in the end the have to eventually answer to a higher being and when that happens, their klan robe will be stripped from their chicken-$h!t arses.

sorry my rant is now off!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The last attorney I worked with, a black woman, prefers "black."

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Out of the many people I know, no on is ever offended by the term "Black".

I think if I called them african american they would think I was trying to make some lame joke.

15. i think the "hyphenated american" thing is getting out of hand. Chinese-Americans, Filipino-Americans, African-Americans, Russian-Americans, South American-Americans.
    If BLACK people want a politically correct term, at least make it American of African descent.(sp?)
    Otherwise I want to be known as a Norwegian/British/Native/African/German/Mexican/Hawaiian American.
    By gummy.
    Im white.
    Black people are black.
    I would call the other races by their colors too, but i cant put a color to...say, umm, Korean people.

No offense to anyone. Of course.

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I agree, I have traced my ancestors back to 1800's, My great great grandfather was a baptist minister and his wife 100% Cherokee Indian. I have Cherokee on both sides of my family. I consider myself 100% American. That's it done. My birth certificate say's colored (*** is that) on it and when I fill out those stupid applications that ask of race I put other. Why must people of color here be African Americans? Do we can European natives French Americans, English Americans, Polish Americans, German Americans and so on and so forth. Hell there all americans and probably came to this land long after my ancestors did. Like Woodchuck said "I have never been to Africa and my family has been Americans for hundreds of years" And if you want to use the well we came from Africa defense, remember that Africa is the mother of civilization. Africa is where man originated from! So I guess we all African Americans huh?

17. Frankly both of them are wrong to me, Black being less offensive. I follow what I read in some Black Panther literature awhile ago. The correct term for all ethnicities and nationalities should be nationality first and ethnicity second. Like American-African/British-Asian/German-Iraqi. Because this is the correct term to label this, e.g take a shepard dog for an example. A German Shepard and British Shepard are both shepards but different nationalities. To say that I am a Asian-American would classify me as my race being American and my nationality is Asia. I refer to all Africans in America- as American-Africans. This define's there race as there as sur-title and there nationality as just there regional sub-section.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Which of these people is African American?

a) Naomi Campbell
    b) Mark Fuhrman
    c) Grant Fuhr

For the record, I personally use and prefer the description black. From looking at a person, that's all you could tell. You can usually not infer ethnicity or country of origin.

As far as the person who, um.., inspired Eric Cioe original post, I'd use a different description. Idiot. They come in all colors.

Peace,

James

19. I don't how black can be offensive at all to anybody. In my modeling class, half of the class is black and they called each other black. No big deal.

Anyone who thinks it is offensive should be punched in the face for being stupid.

20. a true texan