Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

black walnut jazz bass with graphite neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Oct 5, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am putting together a cutom bass. I need something very durable. I am considering a black walnut jazz body with a graphite neck. Any reservations about this combo?

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Sounds great, give it a shot!

What elecs. will you be using?

~S~

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm a fan of walnut and graphite.

Well it will probably sound great and but I think it will be heavy...you might wish to go with a slightly downsized body. Upkeep would probably be pretty simple if you just are rubbing oil on the body.

When I think "durable", I think about the neck/body joint, the headstock stability, the finish, and the quality of components...is that kindof what you're thinking?

Marshall

4. If you can, have the width of the body cut down some, thinner basses ar usually lighter.

Try it out.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I agree, this sounds like a yummy combination. However, I would have to disagree with the others on making the body lighter. Graphite necks tend to be heavy and you will need to either balance it with a standard sized body or you will need to go with a body shape that has an extended upper horn.

Actually, thinking about it. I like the idea of a light body with an extended upper horn.

How much flexibility do you have in the design?

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    +1 That's what I was thinking.

Marshall

7. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I've got a moses jazz neck on a dinky-j (smaller jazz) body from warmoth. I found that emg's weren't very good with this combo and used bartolini soapbars and a bart pre.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    None. Sounds like a great combo to me.
    What neck are you thinking of using?

Please post pix when you're done.

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I can get a moses graphite jazz neck for a decent price. I am unsure of the frets being in graphite instead of the typical rosewood/maple if I ever needed a refret or something, though. I need to send an email to moses to see what they say. I hear that moses has a body now too.

10. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    There is already one a www.planetbass.com it is Modulus Vintage J with a walnut top and a graphite neck and has Aguilar preamp. Looks great. Check it out.

11. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    [​IMG]

Essentiallly this is what I am going to make. Only diff will be chrome hardware with a string through bridge (gotoh 206) and of course the graphite neck.

I am a retailer so I can get parts for a decent price to put together a custom job like this (I'll probably do 5 and sell the others).

12. basshag

basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I actually had a late '70's Modulus Bassstar with exactly the specs you're talking about (exept that it had gold hardware). Very cool bass, but very heavy - about 12 lbs. I have a feeling that today's graphite necks are not as chunky as the one I had and are hopefully lighter. Great focussed sound (I put in Bart pickups).

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA

14. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I agree! I am not sure what color pick gaurd I will use. I will need all 5 to be the exactly the same. I am a very, very, small dot com transitioning from eBay to a full on-line biz as I finish grad school. I intend to use the one I keep for demonstration purposes both for on-line samples and in person demos. Back to the pickgaurd issue - I am thinking a white perloid but I will try a couple of different ones like black perloid etc - don't worry I'll post pictures.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you dont mind Id like to suggest that you contact Nino Brown and ask him if he'd consider putting this together for you.

In any case Id suggest Barts also. Normally I dont like them, but I feel that they work very very well with graphite necks. Everything else is too sterile sounding in my experience.

Black walnut is one of my favorite looking woods by the way.

16. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I love Nino's work but we live to far apart and the shipping is cost prohibitive - I've talked to him about other projects. I'd certainly like his input since this would really be in his realm of expertise.

Barts are what I had in mind with the 2 band eq - so the knobs would be volume, blend, treble and bass. Unless there are jazz control plates with 5 knob holes so I could use the 3 band eq (concentric pots are too expensive) - but I have not seen a 5 hole control plate.

17. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Here's mine. It's maple instead of the black walnut. I bought it from someone who put it together and it just didn't do it for them. When I got it, it had EMG's and an EMG pre in it. It really did sound too sterile. The sound didn't take off till I put on TI Flats, had a new nut cut (the guy had cut his own and it didn't quite work), and switched out the EMG's for Barts with a 2 band Bart EQ with a stacked bass/treble. My next project with this bass is to install and active/passive push/pull knob on the volume. I have the pots and Carey Nordstrand e-mailed me instructions on how to do it... I just haven't had the time. When I first got this bass, I wasn't wild about it, but since I've made the above changes, I've really grown to love it. Oh yeah, the body is a warmoth dinky-j that's been oiled.

18. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm curious to know what people think of this bass. I love the sound. It is a little "modern" sounding, but I like that it's very consistent and very present in the mix. It really cuts through the mix, but not obnoxiously or too trebelly so. I also use an EBS compressor pedal that has a "tube" setting which warms it up a bit. I love that pedal, provides a nice boost and the compression is great.

19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Rather than black walnut, I would go curly claro walnut, but that's me. In fact, I have a walnut bass with walnut in the center and curly claro walnut on the facings.

20. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    As for the pearloid guards, they rarely appeal to me but that is a personal issue. Whatever you do, I think a lighter colored guard will offset the darker wood and neck very nicely.