Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Warwick Headstock Laminate

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stompfrog, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Is it just me or is the black laminate on the warwick headstocks with the white 'w' inliad always a mess. It always seems to be covered in tiny scratches, discoloured and generally knackered. I have two early 90's warwicks and they both have this problem, I have seen many similar ones on ebay.

Have they been mistreated? Does anyone have a 10-15 year old warwick with a nice black laminate? Has anyone successfully restored one with some crazy method that they would like to share?...

Black boot polish? What material is it made from anyway?

2. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    i have 3 warwicks, 2 new and 1 96' thumb all the headstocks look fine. Im not 100% sure on this but i think that it is an ebony laminate...

3. Probably messed up due to lack of wood care. The headstock needs waxing as well as the rest of the bass and neck on Warwicks. They dry out and fade otherwise.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The lam on the oldest warwicks is an ebony lam. Mine looks great after 16 years.

[​IMG]

5. Nice headstock toasted. Mine are not looking half as nice :confused:

I guess the previous owners weren't waxing enough. I will give it a go tonight.

When did they stop using ebony? what do they use now?

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    It's the Gods of Bass punishing Warwick for having such a tiny, ugly headstock. :p

7. I'm pretty sure they still use it.

8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Mine's 16 yeas old and the headstock is looking fine.

9. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    My older one was fine until I applied the Warwick wax to it. It has a milky appearance now. I'm sure it can be easily remedied. I just need someone to tell me how!

10. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    My best guess is to wipe the wax off really well if you have not already.

11. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    i had a 91 streamer with a similar problem, milky white yuk. black leather dye made it look like new. put a small amount on a rag and wipe it on. done. careful not to get any on the sides of the headstock though.( a steady hand or masking tape)

12. i think the color of it looks a slightly faded but it's really not important to me anyways.

13. the new custom shop website lists the headstock options as:

Flamed Maple
    Birdseye Maple
    Black Composite Fiber

That's at least the current material I'd guess.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    My first "real" bass, an Ibanez SR-800, has a fair amount of scratches on its matching headstock. I'd imagine that sloppy string changes have a large amount to do with this issue.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If the laminate is ebony, what can be used to clean it? I havn't cleaned the ebony board on my Kubicki since I got it last October (not that it needs cleaning, since it hasn't gotten dirty, I'd just like to know what can be used to clean ebony when the time comes).

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a mid 90's Stage 1 5, and the 'stock looks fine. I also wax my headstock.

17. I waxed the "potentially ebony laminate" last night and it improved the appearance dramatically. I always assumed it was synthetic and therefore wax wouldn't go down too well but it was not a problem.

That warwick waX smells good!

18. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I'm thinking of trying some lemon oil. I'll post when I get to it.

19. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    I was told it was black dye, but I could be wrong.