1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black Widow 1505 dt-4, repairable???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ray man, Jun 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hello all!
    I'm having some issues finding a replacement.
    Anybody know if it was discontinued, or if there is a suitable replacement?

I love that old speaker, but there is a few problems with mine.
    1) The coil is scraping the inside of the magnet.
    2) The foam dust cover disintegrated inside the magnet.
    3) The magnet itself is cracked.

2. 2goofy

2goofy

Aug 30, 2007
    Virginia
    Hi Ray man..is the 1505-DT 4 a 4 ohm? I have a 1505-DT but it's 8 ohms...

3. Hey there mr. goofy. Yes, it is a 4 ohm.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You can probably still get the replacement baskets and either find a used magnet or buy a new one :) . Strangely enough I have two 4 ohm 15" BW's that I bought used and never used. Dunno what model they are though.

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
  6. I might be able to find a new magnet, but a new replacement basket for the 1505 dt-4 is doubtful.
    I scoured Google, Bing, ect... Some sites still have it listed, but none of them actually have it.:(

They have the 1504 dt-4, on this site, but I think it's the wrong speaker for the old 115bxbw Black Widow cab.

Thank you!

7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yes, I think mine are the 1504's as well - designed for a folded horn bass bin. I have a couple sealed 1x15 cabs that they would work in but I'd not use them in a ported cab.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah those basket kits are eventually going to phase out I'm sure. It doesn't bode well for sales of new items to have so many out there that can be repaired for less money.

Maybe get up with US Speaker and give them the dimension of your cab and they can hook you up with a suitable replacement. Surely that Peavey won't be the only option.

9. Try brick and mortar Peavey dealers. I have a couple magnets around I'd be willing to part with.

10. Aside from the magnet, I am tempted to try and fix the basket at the very least.
    The voice coil is still in good shape, but there are minor scuff marks on the voice coil where it was gently scraping against the inside of the magnet.

Can I save the coil by brushing some kind glue on the worn spot to seal/insulate it from moisture???

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The problem is not the coil, but what caused the damage to begin with. When the alignment fails like this, it's usually due to mechanical overpowering (damaging the suspension components) or instability in the suspension components due to environmental factors (moisture, UV light, or the materials themselves).

The cause of the damage can not be repaired without reconing, or replacing the basket (which contains all new soft parts).

12. Zigman

Zigman

Apr 10, 2016
    Try U. S. Speakers. Com

13. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    There is the possibility that a new (or good used) magnet might get it running OK - you did mention that it was damaged so that could be the problem with the alignment.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  14. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I believe there were at least three generations of the magnets, a 250w, 350w and 500w version? I was told any will work with any of the baskets but the total power handling is limited by the combination of the magnet and basket. To get the 500w rating it requires both the 500w magnet and the SPS series 500w baskets. I think the older baskets are both 250w and 350w capable depending on which magnet you have.

15. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Generally, failure of the motor structure is catastrophic. It's (pole to return plate) either in alignment or totally failed with the pole broken away from the back plate and jammed to th return plate at one point locking the VC tight in the gap. This is uncommon with the BW IME.

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Find a good local reconer, let them use their network to locate the parts. These people can replace all the soft parts from the ground up, they don't need a kit. They can evaluate your hard parts such as the basket and magnet and let you know how to best proceed.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Rocker47 and agedhorse like this.
  17. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yah, I'm trying to figure out what he's seeing that looks like "cracked". Them magnets are pretty beefy...

18. Ok guys, I will try and post a pic of my crack.
    It's a hairline crack running around the outside circumference of the mag. The 'motor' looks unharmed.

19. I would give Peavey themselves a quick call just to confirm that the baskets are for sure discontinued. If they are, and you like that speaker, you may be able to find a used one with a little searching. I found two of them after doing just that. Got them both for $140 Canadian shipped to my door. They could be more common in 8ohm, but I can't say that with any authority other than that's what I have seen most. I'm sure you will find something. Good luck!

20. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hairline cracks in the ferrite material in not uncommon, and are not structural generally

RoadRanger likes this.